Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2016 01:00

XPS 8900 PSU Upgrade

I recently got the XPS 8900 and was not happy at all with the issued graphics card (745), so I wanted to upgrade to the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970, but according to the manufacture I need a PSU with over 500W, but the stock one is only 460W. So I have a couple questions:

1. Will the 460W be sufficient enough to supply the 970? As I have read some people have no issues, and others get blacks screens, etc; I run 3 monitors and usually recording while playing a game (not sure if that really matters)

2. If I need to upgrade the standard PSU, which one should I get? Wanna spend good money to get a quality PSU.

3. No, I do not want to go with a lower graphics card. hahaha

Thank you to any/all advice given. 

February 11th, 2016 22:00

1 . agreed the  745 stinks, 460w PSU should be ok with a 970 but its only 3.5gb

2. I like Corsair 860i its only slightly larger than the stock Dell PSU (see my link below for pics, and yes it bolts in like factory) other brands have larger PSU's with lower power ratings example EVGA is larger so it wont fit as nicely.

3. why waste money on an already out dated GPU buy the 980Ti I have one and its awesome so nice to rock 3 monitors on DP, the 980Ti has 6 gbs of RAM is much more future proof it will pay for itself in time. games are only getting better and more powerful

see my build & upgrades.

en.community.dell.com/.../19667807

No Events found!