Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

February 24th, 2016 10:00

XPS 8900 Unable to restore system using Windows 10 backup (UEFI vs Legacy)

I am testing out the usability of Windows 10 to recover to a new hard drive. I backed up my factory drive using Windows backup from in Windows 10 home edition. The backup worked fine as well as the recovery media. The problem is twofold, after I removed my original drive and put in a new blank hard drive, when I tried to boot from the DVD I was unable to do so unless I change the bios settings from UEFI to legacy.

Once I got the DVD to boot I was then presented with an error message stating that “Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has a different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using UEFI and this computer is using BIOS

Due to this error message how am I supposed to use the recovery disk if I can only boot to it in legacy mode but my system was shipped in UEFI mode. UEFI and secure boot are fairly new concepts to me so I don’t know what else to try.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 14th, 2016 15:00

You need to use a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. Use the likes of Macrium Reflect:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/backing-up-your-windows-installation-using-macrium-reflect/

April 14th, 2016 15:00

No Events found!