Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2015 07:00

XPS 8900 f_panel wiring diagram

Trying to install in a new case and need the f panel wiring diagram to connect the power, reset and hdd light switches to the pin connectors on the motherboard.  Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this.  Called Dell Tech support.  Apparently Dell does not have this or know about how to get one.  I'm kinda of dumbfounded, so I'm turning to anybody on these forums that may have an answer.  Thanks 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 26th, 2015 12:00

Dell uses custom connectors between front panels and motherboards. They don't make info about those connectors publicly available, and they differ from model to model.  So unless you can map the wiring yourself or find somebody who already mapped it...

BTW: There's also a top I/O panel and a front USB panel that connect to the motherboard. I don't know if the motherboard will function correctly if those aren't connected if you move to a new case...??

3 Posts

December 27th, 2015 05:00

Thanks RoHe.  I eventually mapped this myself through trial and error.  It's just that it would have saved me a bunch of time if Dell would have been more disclosing, but I appreciate your response.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 27th, 2015 09:00

Every company keeps secrets about their hardware... :emotion-5:

Glad you got it sorted...

1 Message

January 11th, 2016 10:00

I am undertaking a similar project. Do you have a diagram of the layout that you would be able to provide?

3 Posts

January 11th, 2016 14:00

Here's the best I have come up with so far.  I have tested numerous combinations but these are the only ones I can get to work correctly so far. Each connection consists of a red and black wire( at least in my case, assuming black is ground?). The top of the picture matches the top of the board on the XPS 8900 relative to the computer case.

1.2K Posts

January 11th, 2016 16:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19629462

The thread above was for an 8500 and also worked for an 8700 and has a diagram.

The 8900 case looks the same as an 8700 so I would be surprised if they changed it too much.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2016 00:00

Thank you for the diagram.

My Dell XPS 8900 front panel connector wires come in different colors from yours. I can connect them in your way and am able to turn up the power. But I encountered " Alert! Power Button Cable Failure" message every time I cold boot. However, after clicking on "Continue", the message disappears, and I am then able to start Windows 10 without other problems.

Does anyone have this Alert message, too? It's annoying! 

1 Message

April 11th, 2016 11:00

I'm having the exact same issue! Has anyone figured out how to stop the alert from showing? I do alot of remote work and if I'm not infront of the PC at time of cold reboot, it just hangs at the alert screen.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2016 06:00

I had to do a case transplant on my XPS 8900 to support a better graphics card and PSU

I've got the power button and HDD LED connected based on the previous posts diagram, but I am also getting an alert every time I power on the machine.

Does anyone know how to disable the Alert ?

I was thinking about disassembling the power button module and rewiring it for the new case, but that seems a bit excessive.

4 Posts

April 29th, 2016 18:00

jumping 9 and 12 solve the power connect cable problem for me. Not quite sure what the jumping the other pair does.

6 Posts

August 20th, 2016 07:00

Hang on, are you saying you connected the power button there (diagonally), or literally just put a jumper there?

I am trying to move the XPS 8900 motherboard to a larger case to be a headless server, and right now the inability to boot independently is making my head explode. I tried the middle 2 pins above (fail), tried pins 6+4 (fail).

4 Posts

August 20th, 2016 08:00

The numbered diagram above is correct, 5-6 Power button. 1-3 HDD LED, 2-4 Power LED.

If you do not want the Power Button Cable Failure error on boot, then you need to JUMP 9-12.

If you look at the diagram or the actual connector from the case, you will see that 9-11-12 are jumped together. I'm not sure what specifically the three are but when I tried jumping 9-12, the error went away.

Hope that helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 21st, 2016 17:00

I am trying to move the XPS 8900 motherboard to a larger case to be a headless server

Do you really need to move to a new case to use it as a headless server? Why not just connect an HDMI headless dongle to the XPS 8900 in its original case?

6 Posts

August 31st, 2016 06:00

Thanks. I put a regular jumper diagonally on 9-12 and it did not prevent the error from showing up. Hmm... I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to jumper all four?...

6 Posts

August 31st, 2016 06:00

Problem is I have eight hard drives to hook up with a PERC 6/i card, and there's not enough space in the original case :(

No Events found!