p_soohoo
1 Copper

RE: XPS 8900 f_panel wiring diagram

jumping 9 and 12 solve the power connect cable problem for me. Not quite sure what the jumping the other pair does.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
starwalker
1 Copper

Hang on, are you saying you connected the power button there (diagonally), or literally just put a jumper there?

I am trying to move the XPS 8900 motherboard to a larger case to be a headless server, and right now the inability to boot independently is making my head explode. I tried the middle 2 pins above (fail), tried pins 6+4 (fail).

0 Kudos
p_soohoo
1 Copper

The numbered diagram above is correct, 5-6 Power button. 1-3 HDD LED, 2-4 Power LED.

If you do not want the Power Button Cable Failure error on boot, then you need to JUMP 9-12.

If you look at the diagram or the actual connector from the case, you will see that 9-11-12 are jumped together. I'm not sure what specifically the three are but when I tried jumping 9-12, the error went away.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

I am trying to move the XPS 8900 motherboard to a larger case to be a headless server

Do you really need to move to a new case to use it as a headless server? Why not just connect an HDMI headless dongle to the XPS 8900 in its original case?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
starwalker
1 Copper

Thanks. I put a regular jumper diagonally on 9-12 and it did not prevent the error from showing up. Hmm... I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to jumper all four?...

0 Kudos
starwalker
1 Copper

Problem is I have eight hard drives to hook up with a PERC 6/i card, and there's not enough space in the original case Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
starwalker
1 Copper

Update: so I jumpered 9, 11, 12 through a 3-wire jumper. The message went away! Maybe I did it badly originally, not sure. Note that 5+6 still needs to be connected to the power switch, otherwise nothing will power on the system (so the 9, 11, 12 have nothing to do with power - it`s just to get rid of the message).

Oddly, now, I get a "Your system is having trouble booting" message, which scans memory / drives / etc ... and then ... comes to a "click OK to continue" screen, which, when the OK button is clicked, proceeds to boot completely normally!!!!!! Argh. So I traded one "ok" button for another, and still need a keyboard and a human attached to the computer to boot it. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos