Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2016 15:00

XPS 8900 intel video port not working

So, still trying to understand the video setup. The bios is set to the default from the factory for the video, auto.

So if I plug into the GTX card, I get video.  But if I plug into the onboard Intel video, nothing.

I have read some posts that imply that if a video card is added that it by default, no mater what

the bios setting is, disables the on board intel video?

Thanks

5.2K Posts

January 11th, 2016 20:00

it's working as it should. Why would you want to use the on-board video? You can only use it if you remove the video card.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2016 10:00

Look in BIOS setup for a Multi Monitor (aka: Multi Display) option. Enable that and save the change before exiting setup.

That should allow you to use an onboard video port while an add-in video card is installed, but only if at least one monitor is connected to the add-in video card.

48 Posts

January 12th, 2016 13:00

Interesting.

The BIOS is setup as the default for Auto in the bios for the video

So, I have no video cable connected between the add-in video card and my monitor.

If I connect an HDMI cable to the onboard video, nothing.

If I connect a DP cable to the onboard video, with nothing on the add in, I do get video,
 but only get a low resolution option of a make of 1280 by 800, just like with the HDMI connected to the add in video.

48 Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

Thanks.

Just wondering where it is documented that you have to use a monitor at all times connected to the add in video card.  Would like to read what details they provide.

I believe I have the lastest Nvidia and INtel graphics drivers.

I have the lastest Bios on the website, but I have seen posted some with the lastest XPS 8900 have a never version, but I have yet to see on the website.

I believe I have the latest intel chipset drivers.

Why both videos?  The Onboard is a DP connection, which the add in does not provide.  Just
 wanted to see what it would do.  I guess I could try a DVI and HDMI on the add in, just have to get a second monitor that has the right inputs.

I just went on line to look at the dell manuals.  Nothing in the service guide.  Could find no users manual.  So I could find nothing that said that if one has an add-in video card that something has to be connected before one uses the onboard video.  But, maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

You have to have at least one monitor connected to the add-in video card at all times.

Do you have the latest NVidia and Intel graphics drivers?

Do you have the latest version of BIOS?

Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers?

And to re-ask KirkD's question, why do you want to use onboard video when you have that nice add-in card?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2016 17:00

Automatically disabling the onboard video ports when there's an add-in video card has been a standard on most PCs for years.

Only in recent times has there even been the option to use both at the same time, but only when there's a least one monitor connected to the add-in card.

Prior to the XPS 8900, (eg, XPS 8700 and XPS 8500) connecting a monitor only to the onboard video port would give an on-screen error that you have an add-in video card, but no monitor is connected to it.

The Intel driver is for the onboard video, so if you ever plan to use both, you should keep that driver up-to-date too. And there's no harm in updating that driver even if you're only using the add-in card.

BIOS 2.0.3 is the latest version, AFAIK...

48 Posts

January 12th, 2016 17:00

Someone posted they have bios 2.1 in their XPS 8900.

Okay, I just hooked up 2 HP 3065 monitors to the Nvidia card.

The DVI port goes to 2560X1600 native.

But the HDMI will only go to 1280X800 max.

Is this what is expected.  Even if I lower the DVI port, the HDMI does not allow me to increase.

If I connect the second monitor to the onboard DP port, I can play a little and get the DP port a little higher, but the resolution is terrible.

So, any idea why I cannot have the same resolutions on the Nvidia card with the exact same display types?  Does HDMI limit to 1280X800?  It did this even when it was the only display connected?

Thanks

48 Posts

January 13th, 2016 08:00

Okay, it looks like my issue is related to the monitor I am using.

Reading a number of posts on the HP 3065, because of its design, it has limits.
 The DVI-D with a DVI video driver, will drive to 2560X1600.  But the HDMI, with the 3065,
 halfs the native to 1280X800.

I just installed a HP 2465 on the HDMI as the second monitor, and its native is 1920X1200 and it works
 at this resolution on the HDMI.  I can change the 3065 on the DVI to lots of different resolutions still.

I even hooked a third monitor to the VGA port, and it synced to its native resolution.

So, sure am learning a lot.  The monitor you want to use determines what this card can do.  Interesting.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2016 10:00

Was about to ask if you knew the HDMI resolution specs for your monitor, but I guess you figured out the limit you're seeing is in the monitor, not the video card...

The advantage of HDMI, even at the lower res, is that HDMI carries both video and audio signals together on the same cable (assuming the monitor has speakers) but DVI can only carry video.

DP also carries both video and audio on the same cable.

Glad you're getting it all sorted out...

48 Posts

January 13th, 2016 10:00

None of my monitors have HDMI inputs. I am using adapter cables like HDMI to DVI are the ones I purchased.

I do not need any audio since these are just monitors.

Thanks for the help.  I never knew that monitors had limitations, but I sure know that now.  Pretty cool it looks like the Nvida card could drive 3 monitors without an issue.  But I think I am going to just stay with the one 30 inch.  Makes things so much easier.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2016 11:00

You're welcome.

Just think what you could do with a 65" HDMI TV connected to that video card!. :emotion-2:

48 Posts

January 13th, 2016 11:00

Now that would be cool, and I could use the HDMI then.  :)

No Events found!