Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2016 15:00

XPS 8900 not offered with AMD video cards in Canada

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 8900, I've had my eye on the one with 32GB ram & 256GB SSD & 2TB HDD - if only Dell Canada offered it with the R9 370 video card like the US site does. Granted the US model is 16GB ram and no SSD - but those are things I can add later. The only way I can get it in Canada is pay for the Nvidia card I don't want, and buy the AMD R9 card separate - both added expenses. 

I liked it better when you could choose all your components, granted you had to wait a little longer for the build, but at least got what you wanted rather than what someone else thinks you want.. 

1.2K Posts

July 12th, 2016 18:00

Buy it with a low-end GTX card and drop in the card of your choice later. You'll get a better card with a better cooler and better fan control than the card supplied by dell.

Just watch the heat and the power draw. The 8900 case does not have good airflow, and the 8900 PSU is nothing get excited about.

20 Posts

July 13th, 2016 08:00

That's just it - they only offer the GTX 960, and nothing else here.

I may have to just build my own I guess, or see if there is an alienware that suits my needs..

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2016 09:00

Just a wild guess, but does it have something to do with the PSU offered in Canadian versions of the XPS 8900 vs US versions? The R9 is rated at 150W and the GTX 960 only 120W...

20 Posts

July 13th, 2016 10:00

Actually I didn't realize that I could scroll through more models and there is one 8900 offered with the R9 card. My conundrum now is that there is an 8900 on sale with 32GB ram and 256GB SSD & 2TB 7200HDD for the same price as the 16GB ram model with the AMD card and just a 2TB 7200 HDD.

I'm probably better off getting the one with the AMD card and picking up an SSD and two more 8GB ram sticks later..

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

Guess you need to do a cost analysis between the unit that's on sale vs the cost of buying an SSD and more RAM.

Decisions, decisions...

1 Message

July 14th, 2016 20:00

This may not be the place to post the question, but it does have something to do with the xps 8900 and the NVidia gtx 960.  I just got my system today with the 32gb of ram, 256 ssd, and 2 terabytes of HDD.  I mated the system with a Samsung c591 27inch display using the hdmi cable that was supplied by dell. I keep getting an error message:  you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu.  I've searched the net and tried several solutions to fix this but nothing has worked.  Is it possible that the NVidia card is not attached to the hdmi plug? And I need to use the display port instead?  thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2016 12:00

This may not be the place to post the question, but it does have something to do with the xps 8900 and the NVidia gtx 960.  I just got my system today with the 32gb of ram, 256 ssd, and 2 terabytes of HDD.  I mated the system with a Samsung c591 27inch display using the hdmi cable that was supplied by dell. I keep getting an error message:  you are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu.  I've searched the net and tried several solutions to fix this but nothing has worked.  Is it possible that the NVidia card is not attached to the hdmi plug? And I need to use the display port instead?  thanks

Sounds like you're connecting the monitor to one of the on-board video ports, instead of to the add-in video card. (The on-board ports are disabled when an add-in video card is installed.)

No Events found!