Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2016 19:00

XPS 8900 stock PSU with GTX 1070 works

Hello,

Just wanted to post this even if it has already been confirmed but you can definitely run a GTX 1070 with a Dell XPS 8900 with a stock 460 watt PSU.

My XPS 8900 has 32GBs of RAM, 500 GB SSD M.2, 1 TB HD, i7 6700 non K with a EVGA SC GTX 1070 on a stock PSU (460 watts) and it works just fine. I have a Belkin real-time watt meter and the most draw I have seen is around 230 - 250 when running a demanding game, benchmarking or using fast sync (as opposed to limiting FPS).

I upgraded from an EVGA GTX 960 SC 4GB that I had overclocked to 1.5GHz and I am seeing very close to the same power draw as the GTX 1070.

Hopefully this helps anyone else like me who wasn't sure if I would need a new PSU or not.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2017 07:00

Assuming the power supply has similar specs it can definitely not run 1070s in SLI. I believe the motherboard (not 2 x16 pcie slots and not SLI certified) and case could also not fit 2 1070s. You will need a new case, motherboard , and power supply.

46 Posts

January 7th, 2017 08:00

Thank you.

I appreciate that - seems like you've avoiding me making a bad mistake!

I was trying to avoid the higher cost of the Precisons.. but maybe I have to go there.

My need is to feed a projector running in HD in a Church environment using typical software which shows words and pictures etc on the screen and one one monitor,  whilst allowing the operator to cue and decide on what is to be shown on another HD monitor. (example Easy Worship)

I am trying to choose something that has a good pedigree and will last about 5-7 years.

I do not believe that 4K will ever be required from  this computer.

Could you suggest two suitable cards ?

I  have tried to find one with a suitable PSU plus other factors important - such as a good number of USB3 ports, HDMI etc.

I welcome any advice again.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

While you should check with the software publisher for its recommendations, it doesn't sound like that software requires anywhere near a dual SLi configuration - just about any systems these days can output to two displays.  Dual X16 video cards are by far overkill for it.

46 Posts

Thank you.

I appreciate that - seems like you've avoiding me making a bad mistake!

My need is to feed a projector running in HD in a Church environment using typical software which shows words and pictures etc on the screen and one one monitor,  whilst allowing the operator to cue and decide on what is to be shown on another HD monitor. (example Easy Worship)

I am trying to choose something that has a good pedigree and will last about 5-7 years.

I  have tried to find one with a suitable PSU plus other factors important - such as a good number of USB3 ports, HDMI etc.

I welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You can't run that with an 8910 -- if you haven't purchased a system yet, look toward the Precision desktop systems, which can do dual video cards.

1.2K Posts

January 7th, 2017 10:00

I welcome any advice.

As was already commented, dual graphics cards are not needed to run two 1080p (HD) display outputs. I suggest a GTX 1060 6GB card.

The specific card would depend on what video outputs you need. If you post the specifics on the projector then we can give better advice. If the projector has not yet been purchased, you might want to select that also and make sure it has the right inputs and all.

If your projector is running on HDMI and the monitor is running on DVI there are many choices. If you need two HDMI connections there are fewer choices.

Assuming the monitor is near the computer, DVI is perfect for that and is a very common input for monitors.

My moderate experience with HDMI is it does well at longer longer distances. There are also HDMI cables that boost the signal so you can get longer cable runs so that will be good for the projector.

Also, depending on how far the cable is running, and where the cable is routed you may want to check building codes. It may require a "plenum" rated video cable.   

Assuming you can get by with a DVI and an HDMI you could look at the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming cards. They are solid and dependable, and the 1060 will work with the stock power supply. You might need a reverse Y power connector because the stock PSU has two six pin PCIe power connectors, but most of the cards want a single eight pin. These can be found on eBay or newegg for $5 to $10

also, if you need to buy cables, monopriceDOTcom has been great over the years.  The don't carry plenum rated cables however so if you do need that you'll need to look elsewhere.

good luck.

46 Posts

January 7th, 2017 10:00

Thank you.

The 8910's spec is fine.
In terms of graphics card they show  NVIDIA GeForce  GTX in ascending order.

650 - 680

750 - 780

950 - 980

1050 - 1080

But I am guessing the two monitors needs the 1060 up to cope well?? .. and I would need to know it fitted in the XPS 8910 and the PSU could cope long-term...

Would that crack it ejn63 - or am i missing something?

Pete

1.2K Posts

January 7th, 2017 11:00

I should also comment that if price is a concern, you can get by with less of a system and less of a video card. a core i5 will do video displays just fine and a GTX 1050 will also handle dual displays.

If I had an overall budget constraint and it included the projector, I think I would put more of my budget towards a better projector.

You might also ask at the Home Theater type forums as I'm sure this is a common discussion.

1.2K Posts

January 7th, 2017 11:00

here is an example of the power adapter cable that might be needed, if the graphics card has 8 pin.

the link will get moderated and take a while to post so replace the DOT with a .

www DOT performance-pcs.com/dual-6-pin-pci-express-to-one-8-pin-pci-express-2-0-adapter-cable-sleeved.html

I have no experience with this company, just post it as an example.

They can also be found on eBay.

46 Posts

January 8th, 2017 08:00

Thamnk you very much. Thats very helpful.

1 Message

February 20th, 2017 23:00

We bought an MSI card with GTX 1060 on it, installed it on stock XPS 8900 PSU, it was a squeeze and I had to bend the case in the hard disk inclosure area (in the video the area that Dread7US highlighted where the power cables fit) but it worked. ONE IMPORTANT THING THOUGH: EVGA cards come with power adapter from 6 pin to 8, but MSI cards DO NOT, so I had to buy a separate cable, I did not manage to get one in the market or online where I am at, but I was lucky enough to step into a place that sold graphic cards and had an extra cable from an EVGA card they have sold, I bought it for the equivalent of 14 USD. My advice, do not buy other than the EVGA card UNLESS you can get the power cable convertor with the card you are buying.

There is another hack for the power cable issue which is learning online how to build your own cable, but you need specific cables to start with and you have the risk of burning you mother board of display card in the process. Hope this helps.

1.2K Posts

February 21st, 2017 06:00

Here are some tips for searching eBay for the connector if the card one want's doesn't have the adapter.

Start here:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html

select connector A to be 6+6 pin

select connector B to be 8 pin

lots of options.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html

5 Posts

December 28th, 2017 12:00

Anyone know if 1070 ti will work with the stock PSU?

No Events found!