Dread7us
2 Bronze

RE: XPS 8900 stock PSU with GTX 1070 works

It is not the founder edition. Here is the link to the exact one I purchased: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

0 Kudos
Dread7us
2 Bronze

You are still having freezing problems after upgrading the power supply?

0 Kudos
Dread7us
2 Bronze

I've had some issues with the PC completely freezing. I have had this issue since I've had the PC (on original GPU; GT 740, GTX 960 and GTX 1070). Usually happens when running graphically intensive games / HTV Vive. I have not seen anything on the wattage meter to suggest it is an issue with the PSU. If you have already tried the other PSU, please let me know if that resolves it. It looks like a more recent commented has a similar issue without stock PSU.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Beryllium

I've had some issues with the PC completely freezing. I have had this issue since I've had the PC (on original GPU; GT 740, GTX 960 and GTX 1070). Usually happens when running graphically intensive games / HTV Vive. I have not seen anything on the wattage meter to suggest it is an issue with the PSU. If you have already tried the other PSU, please let me know if that resolves it. It looks like a more recent commented has a similar issue without stock PSU.

I have a theory it might be software or a driver, and here is my suggestions.

1) backup your system. ( always good advice).

2) use a combination of Revo uninstaller and DDU to eradicate all past history of any card or driver.

www DOT revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

www DOT guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

( be careful. the ads are misleading. make sure you get a page to download the latest version of[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip )

I would run DDU first, and then run Revo and look for anything that has nVidia .

3) download drivers directly from nVidia.

www DOT nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I do not install any of the nVidia experience or 3d, and only the driver and control panel extension. I also make sure it is set to NOT auto update.

hopefully this makes sense, good luck.

0 Kudos
nickteee
Not applicable

I have the I7 6700k, 2TB Hard Drive, 500GB M.2 SSD and I can tell you the 1060 works fine with the stock power supply. If you go for one of the higher end models (like an asus strix card) you might need an adapter depending on whether or not it comes with one.

0 Kudos
old_Bean
2 Iron

Thanks for posting this.

I have a need to run two HD definition cards inside a Dell XPS 8910.

I was thinking of two EVGA1070's.

How would the Dell cope with running two of these?

I would appreciate any answers guys.

0 Kudos
nickteee
Not applicable

Assuming the power supply has similar specs it can definitely not run 1070s in SLI. I believe the motherboard (not 2 x16 pcie slots and not SLI certified) and case could also not fit 2 1070s. You will need a new case, motherboard , and power supply.

ejn63
10 Diamond

You can't run that with an 8910 -- if you haven't purchased a system yet, look toward the Precision desktop systems, which can do dual video cards.

old_Bean
2 Iron

Thank you.

I appreciate that - seems like you've avoiding me making a bad mistake!

My need is to feed a projector running in HD in a Church environment using typical software which shows words and pictures etc on the screen and one one monitor,  whilst allowing the operator to cue and decide on what is to be shown on another HD monitor. (example Easy Worship)

I am trying to choose something that has a good pedigree and will last about 5-7 years.

I do not believe that 4K will ever be required from  this computer.

Could you suggest two suitable cards ?

I  have tried to find one with a suitable PSU plus other factors important - such as a good number of USB3 ports, HDMI etc.

I welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

0 Kudos
old_Bean
2 Iron

Thank you.

I appreciate that - seems like you've avoiding me making a bad mistake!

I was trying to avoid the higher cost of the Precisons.. but maybe I have to go there.

My need is to feed a projector running in HD in a Church environment using typical software which shows words and pictures etc on the screen and one one monitor,  whilst allowing the operator to cue and decide on what is to be shown on another HD monitor. (example Easy Worship)

I am trying to choose something that has a good pedigree and will last about 5-7 years.

I do not believe that 4K will ever be required from  this computer.

Could you suggest two suitable cards ?

I  have tried to find one with a suitable PSU plus other factors important - such as a good number of USB3 ports, HDMI etc.

I welcome any advice again.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

0 Kudos