Highlighted
Not applicable

XPS 8900 will not boot up with first power on

I recently purchased a XPS 8900 w/2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 960 Graphics card and a S2716DG 27" Monitor.  When the computer has been turned off for a long period of time, the computer will not boot up without pushing the power on button again which turns off computer.  Pushing power on button again will boot up the computer.  The monitor shows a notice that it is going into a power down mode when the button is pushed the first time.  If you turn off the computer and then restart it works as it should.

Another issue I have is that the system will not wake up after several minutes of being in the sleep mode.  It will work up if you try to wake it up within a few minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have spent several hours with Dell techs on other issues that have been resolved, but these have not been solved.

I am almost ready to return this computer system to Costco.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
8 Krypton

RE: XPS 8900 will not boot up with first power on

What color is power button and is it steady or blinking when PC won't boot when first pressing the power button?

If Costco will take it back, maybe that's your first option. Be sure to wipe the hard drive to remove your personal files and any software you installed.  Or at the least, do a full Windows Reset.

If you want to troubleshoot it yourself, it's possible the motherboard battery is weak, even though it's a new PC, and it may need to be replaced (CR2032 battery, ~$2.00). Or maybe BIOS just needs to be reset by removing that battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery.

The wake issues are probably just settings. Reboot and immediately press F2 to go into BIOS setup. Look for a "USB wake" option and make sure it's enabled. Be sure to save the change before exiting setup.

If enabling USB wake doesn't help (assuming you have that option in BIOS), open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab.

And finally, open the Windows Power screen. Select the current power plan and click link to change settings. On next screen, click link for Advanced Options. On the advanced screen, look for USB Selective Suspend in the list at left and DISable it. Be sure to save the change, if prompted. Now reboot and see if that helps with the wake issues.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I tried all of your suggestions, system still works the same.  I borrowed a HDMI cable to use instead of the DPI cable.  The turn on and sleep problem goes away.  I believe there is an issue with the Display port interface with this computer.  As I understand it the display  port interface gives me the expected performance that I expect with this monitor.  Still waiting to hear back from Dell about this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Glad you found a work-around.  

True that DP provides higher resolution and faster refresh rates. A High Speed HDMI cable would give you up to 4096 by 2160 @24 Hz which is ok for movies, but probably not for games.

Post back and let us know what Dell says....

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos