Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2017 05:00

XPS 8910 1394 FireWire card issues(windows 10 Pro)

Hi, I am another new XPS 8910 owner(my 2005 XPS 410 still running also). I dod a little video editing etc, that is why I bought this machine, but it does not come with 1394 firewire car. I purchased a SIIG 3 port(1-400,2-800) PCIe card,installed & been trying to resolve a problem for over a week, been pulling my hair out. Here it goes, there are NO exclamation marks on 1394 card, none ever. When I first start the computer,& its up running, I can turn my Sony Hi 8 TRV510 camcorder on, then plug in firewire cable & it makes its sound acknowledging its plugged in, I can verify its plugged in my Pinnacle program under capture, but after approx. 20 minutes its as if card goes to sleep, It IS NOT recognized when plugging in or unplugging firewire cable. I would have to reboot computer then the same things repeat itself. Just to clarify, I have tried the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) , even a Dell one that caused screen saver & display issues(freezing up the computer sending it into restart)... I/We have tries EVERYTHING. Any HELP is GREATLY appreciated, as I've lost much sleep this last week, & want to get this resolved...

4 Posts

February 8th, 2017 10:00

I was hoping Dell could see this or & assist me?

• 

16.7K Posts

February 8th, 2017 11:00

cajunboyz,

You will need to contact the manufacturer of the a SIIG 3 port(1-400,2-800) PCIe car for support of the device.

370 Posts

February 13th, 2017 05:00

test

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2017 06:00

Both Apple and Microsoft have abandoned firewire.

The other issue is that WINDOWS LIVE 2012 was removed in January which is where movie maker hides now.  If you didnt get that download you wont because its gone now.

I would suggest getting an older system like the Optiplex series GX620 745 755 760 780 that

has PCI slots and then get a firewire 400 card that uses 12v power.   The system needs to be running windows 7 because windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 do not use the legacy driver and they remove windows media components and movie maker etc.  Your current card may work in an older system but has issues due to the PCI-E 3.0 bus and the fact that the card is PCI-E 1.1 or 2.0.   Either way its not working with windows 8 or 10.

There is a Legacy Driver download but Ive never personally gotten this working.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device-does-not-work-correctly-in-windows-8.1-or-windows-8

After you install the 1394 OHCI Legacy Driver.msi file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Legacy1394.inf file under one of the following paths based on the computer's architecture:
    • C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x86_driver
    • C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x64_driver

2. Click Install.
  3. Open Device Manager in Control Panel.
  4. Expand IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, and then locate the host controller.
  5. Right-click the host controller, and then click Update Driver Software.
    The screen shot of the host controller and the Update Driver Software is listed in the following example:

6. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  8. Click Generic1394 OHCI compliant host controller (Legacy), and then click the Next button.
  9. Click the Close button.

Prerequisites

There are no prerequisites for installing this update.

Registry information

To apply this update, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.

Restart requirement

You have to restart the computer after you apply this update.

Update replacement information

This update does not replace a previously released update.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-FIREWIRE-400-CARD-IEEE1394a-TEXAS-INSTRUMENTS-TI-DUAL-CHIPSET-FOR-/182446914595

For Windows 7 simply replace the new 1394 driver with the Legacy driver that comes with Windows 7.

Below is the step by step instructions on how to install the Legacy driver so you won‘t have any problems either:

Click Start

Then click on Control Panel

Click on Device Manager

Note: If you don’t see Device Manager listed, click on View By: Category on the top right side of the Control Panel Window.  Then Click on Large Icons you should now have a list of items in the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.

Under the Device Manager, look down the list for IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers and Double Click on it.

It should display something like - 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Note: If it has the word (Legacy) behind it, you are already setup and you can just exit out.

Next, double click on the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

A window will popup saying 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Properties

Click on the Driver Tab

Then look down in the widow and click on Update Driver

Then select - Browse my computer for driver software

Next select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

It will bring up a list of drivers.

Click on 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

NOTE: It is important that you select the one with (Legacy) after it, just like shown above.

Then click Next

Once it installs the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy),
it will say Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Click on the Close button and exit out of all of the other windows.

Then Reboot your computer.

You will now be able to import video via the FireWire port on your computer.

If you are still having a problem importing video after you have switched the FireWire driver to Legacy, then the problem may be with the FireWire port.  This is a common problem.  The FireWire port will work with an external driver, but it won't let you import video from your video camera.  Most people report this problem with Dell computer, but it does happen with other brands, even brand new computers.  This problem is usually with the FireWire port that is built into the motherboard.

The fix is simple:
1. Install a FireWire card into one of the open slots in the computer
2. Using the instructions above, set the drive to Legacy.
3. Reboot the computer.
4. Then connect the FireWire cable from the video camera, into the new FireWire port that you just added.

This fixes the problem 99% of the time.  FireWire cards are not the expensive, they run from $10 and up, depending on any extra features the card may have.

NOTE:  When Microsoft has issues windows updates, it can cause Windows 7 to switch back to use the non legacy 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller driver.  If you notice the FireWire device is transferring slowly or not working, then just repeat the above steps and reinstall the Legacy driver.

No Events found!