Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2016 07:00

XPS 8910, CPU cooler

Hi in the first photo is of a Custom CPU cooler that was intended for the XPS 8910 but instead dell is shipping stranded intel cpu heatsink coolers like in the 2nd photo dose anyone have any clue how come there not still using the custom Cpu that was intended for the xps 8910

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 12:00

Where can I buy that high capacity heatsink cooling system that comes with the XPS Special Edition? I recently bought an XPS 8910, that I like very much, and would love to upgrade my core i7 6700 processor to a 6700k or 7700k.  

33 Posts

January 24th, 2017 12:00

i have talk to dell about buying that high capacity heatsink they said at the time it only comes with the XPS special edition and that they wouldn't sale it alone by itself causes it still one of there newest systems i would guess maybe down the road they mite offer it who knows

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 26th, 2017 05:00

I believe the SE has

KTDJC ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, FAN, BLOWER, 95W, 8910

T57JF ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, FAN, 95W, 8910

Whether or not you can order these is another matter

33 Posts

February 9th, 2017 12:00

Hi again SpeedStep in the photo of the heatsink you posted on the 1st page do you happen to know if the heatsink is installed to a back plate on the back of the motherboard if so would you happen to know what it looks like?

140 Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

When installing my power supply upgrade, I had to remove the CPU fan and heatsink to connect one of the power connectors to the motherboard.  The fan is attached to the heatsink with 3 screws and the heatsink is attached to the motherboard with 4 screws.  I didn't see a back plate associated with it, but I'll open it up and take a look tonight.

33 Posts

February 10th, 2017 12:00

you wouldn't be able to see the back plate unless you removed the motherboard itself.... i will find out this Sat. cause I'm going to try and upgrade the heatsink to a better one if it works out i will post photos of it later

41 Posts

May 24th, 2017 10:00

So did anybody have success installing a new cooler in the 8910? I want to upgrade to a 6600k but worried about the stock cooler... was thinking maybe a Cryorig C7 or a Noctua NH-L9 or something.

33 Posts

May 24th, 2017 14:00

Hi there really isn't  much room to fit a bigger heatsink it would have to be a low profile heatsink and the low profile heatsink would almost be touching the PSU so really not much room to work with

798 Posts

May 24th, 2017 20:00

So what kind of CPU temps and video card combinations are u getting with the stock cooler to make users want to change that cooler out?

Intel specs the 6700 with a recommended max temp (TCase) of 71 C, though there are users that run that processor much higher.  I would think 80 C would be the maximum you would want to run it at for an extended time.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Even if you change the CPU cooler or fan, the airflow in the machine will still be an issue, I would just add an intake fan to the lower part of the front of the case like evildeadguy did.  

How much did that intake fan actually help evildeadguy?  I know when I added the front intake fan in an XPS 8500 it dropped temps 3-4 degrees.

Just by adding the fan it will improve airflow and drop temps across the board.  Would think this would be simpler and cheaper to do.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/20008177

I can see that the exhaust fan is at the top of the XPS 8910 case,  there seems to be a way you can mount a radiator below the fan inside the case to do an AIO  water cooling solution. 

Here is an OEM water cooling solution shown in an Alienware Aurora with a similar case, it shows a fan inside the case and radiator on top.  The  top of the case that comes off is raised and its is a lot higher for looks, and it has a huge radiator mounted in there in an enclosure which seems unnecessary.   They somehow get the hoses into the case as well.   Perhaps you can just swap radiator / fan placements and the hoses will be in the case.

It also shows a 120mm fan mounted in the front of the case as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLEhawGA7As

41 Posts

May 25th, 2017 03:00

@EvilDeadGuy thanks, the ones I mentioned are really small but i suppose I better either measure, try to get the SE cooler somehow or brave using the stock cooler.

May 25th, 2017 04:00

How can one order those parts? It's very hard to talk to dell about certain parts like that they act like they don't know what you're talking about.. I have a xps 8910 and the temps are horrible, I really need a different CPU heatsink/cooler, PSU and atleast one extra case fan as the I7 6700 is constantly throttled, games freeze while the PSU goes full blast for a few seconds all the time. there has to be a way to cool this thing better, the description made it sound like its design was smart and cooling was efficient but it's worse than my super tiny HTPC. any suggestions on ordering parts from dell would be nice

33 Posts

May 25th, 2017 07:00

the stock cooler should be fine with the 6600k....

41 Posts

May 26th, 2017 12:00

@HanoverB Adding a fan sounds like a good idea, I hadn't really thought about it as I didn't think it would fit but I'm guessing a 120mm would fit, and after watching that video It should have been standard.

about to make my decision.... will stick with the stock cooler for now and get:

i5-6600k

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste

PWM Fan Splitter

Corsair Air Series SP120

I'm not exactly a noob but this will be the most I've done so far other than swapping hdd's, ssd's, psu's and gpu's. Hope I don't fudge it up.

798 Posts

May 26th, 2017 14:00

@HanoverB Adding a fan sounds like a good idea, I hadn't really thought about it as I didn't think it would fit but I'm guessing a 120mm would fit, and after watching that video It should have been standard.

about to make my decision.... will stick with the stock cooler for now and get:

i5-6600k

PWM Fan Splitter

Corsair Air Series SP120

I'm not exactly a noob but this will be the most I've done so far other than swapping hdd's, ssd's, psu's and gpu's. Hope I don't fudge it up.

Did you get the low noise SP120 version of that fan?  The high static pressure one is a lot noisier.  You want that low noise fan running max RPM full time and not connected to the PWM.   Just connect it to a molex.  It runs at only 1100 RPM and moves a lot of air and will create the airflow you need.   Ideal intake fan is a large fan that runs at low RPM and moves a lot of air and is not noisy.

41 Posts

May 26th, 2017 15:00

Yeah I went ahead and ordered everything:

i5-6600K

JBtek All Black Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter

Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition Single Fan

If I'm not mistaken the 120mm fan on the top always runs, its just so quiet it doesn't sound like it's running but I monitored it one day and it always runs, but if its an issue I'll look into other means. The included power supply doesn't have a molex connector if I remember correctly, and I have all the hard drive bays occupied so that's all the connectors possible filled. Hopefully the splitter will work correctly but if not I'll figure something out when the time comes. Worse case scenario I'll just put it in my main desktop (XPS 8700) - though my 8910 (HTPC) with the 15-6600k will be more powerful than my 8700 with a i7-4770... at least as far as processor power for gaming.

No Events found!