Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2016 07:00

XPS 8910, CPU cooler

Hi in the first photo is of a Custom CPU cooler that was intended for the XPS 8910 but instead dell is shipping stranded intel cpu heatsink coolers like in the 2nd photo dose anyone have any clue how come there not still using the custom Cpu that was intended for the xps 8910

798 Posts

May 26th, 2017 16:00

I used the AF120 Quiet Edition fan that runs at 1100 RPM (21 db), I tried the 1650RPM version of that fan and the noise was noticeable (30 db).   The Air Flow series will move just a little more air than the SP120 version but you should be okay.  You can always use the step down resistor if the noise at 1450 RPM (23db)on the SP120 bothers you.  Think you should be fine.  I think the fan curve on those is such that an increase in RPM vs the relative increase in airflow isn't always linear.   Then the higher you have the RPM's the more noise generated.    

BTW the SP and AF series fans are 3 pin fans so they cannot be used on the PWM connector to monitor their speed.  Just get a molex splitter and you should be okay.

Dell usually has the rear fan (top fan on the XPS 8910) being regulated by voltage from the motherboard (3 pin), and the CPU cooler fan is PWM regulated (4 pin)

41 Posts

May 27th, 2017 14:00

Yeah, I made the mistake of assuming the SP120 was PWM, the one I ordered isn't and even though tomorrow is Sunday that's when it's scheduled to be delivered along with the fan splitter. What kinda pisses me off is the XPS 8910 was clearly meant to have 2 fans originally, as the video shows but also there is a spot on the mobo marked "Front Fan" but there is no pins that would normally go next to it. I have no possible way to power the fan besides using a fan splitter or getting a new PSU as the stock PSU was built with just enough cables to power the mobo, cpu, 3 hdd'd, 1 disc drive and 1 6pin VGA. I have my XPS 8700's old PSU but I'll exchange the fan on Monday.

The good news though... Not even 24 hours after placing my order my 6600k and TP arrived. I've already installed it and the initial results are pretty good. Even though my room is 5 degrees F hotter than when I tested my 6400's idle temps, the 6700k is actually running 8 degrees C cooler. These are only idle temps though and I'll run the same benchmarks I did for the 6400 tomorrow morning to get the load results... But so far so good =)

Edit: I was incorrect about the number of connectors with the stock PSU... There's an unusual shaped connector powering the slim dvd-rom and 4 sata power connectors to go with the mobo, CPU and 6-pin VGA connectors... since there are only 3 sata hdd trays, there's an extra sata power connector in case someone reads this in the future and decides to use it to power the fan instead.

798 Posts

May 27th, 2017 16:00

NIce to hear you got the CPU installed and it's working just fine.

For the fan, get a 4 pin molex Y spliter to create another 4 pin molex connection off the PSU

and then use  3 pin ATX fan to 4 pin moiex adapter 

or here is an all in one unit that should work

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-4-Pin-Molex-Replacement-Computer/dp/B0081K3ZS0

33 Posts

May 27th, 2017 17:00

it worked for me cause i ordered this part from ebay and it just popped in place in the front of the case

Alienware Aurora R5 Case Fan w Plastic Bracket

33 Posts

May 27th, 2017 17:00

You wont be able to use that cable cause the Dell PSU Doesn't have any cables left to plug it into you will need to get this cable to be able to make the motherboard be able to control the fan speeds

www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14

798 Posts

May 28th, 2017 03:00

So you are saying that on the XPS 8910 you can't use a Y adapter off a molex that is already in use to create two 12vV molex connectors?   I thought that is point of the Y adapter.   You would then connect that molex to 3 pin fan adapter in my previous post to one connector  and the original device to the second.  

Remove Molex from DVD Optical Drive, split using Y to create molex #1 and Molex #2

DVD Optical Drive to moiex #1

3 pin fan to molex adapter to Molex #2

Or just use that all in one adapter that has the 3 pin fan connector which might be simpler.

41 Posts

May 28th, 2017 06:00

Yeah, unlike every other of the many Dell desktops I've owned no included molex with this PSU.

@EvilDeadGuy that's the exact splitter I ordered, but the fan I got isn't PWM. I may go ahead and try it anyways and if the full speed isn't too loud I'll keep it, if its loud I'll try a PWM or different fan.

My load benchmarks weren't as impressive as the idle...

i5 6400:

20 mins idle - 39c

load (handbrake) min 39c max 63c

i5 6600k:

20 mins idle - 31c

load (handbrake) min 36c max 69c

Hopefully the fan helps or I'm going to go on a hunt for the SE cooler which really I kinda want anyways.

Ok, Edit: Got the fan this morning, difficult to install (I suggest getting the fan EvilDeadGuy got) but after a bit of zip tie action and cable managing wizardry I managed to get it fastened and running. The fact that it wasn't PWM made no difference, it was simply plug and play as far as the connectors go cuz the Y splitter was made to fit 3 or 4 pin fans. I used the included low power adapter that came with the SP120 so I have no idea how loud it is without but here's the final test.

6600k with front SP fan installed

20 mins idle - 31c

load (handbrake) min 33c max 63c

Since SP fans have a wider but less focused airflow path I think that's why it made a little difference, but due to the way the case is designed the GPU blocks most of the airflow from the front fan... which will make for a better refrigerated GTX 1060 though.

33 Posts

May 28th, 2017 10:00

Yeah you could use the cables going to the DVD drive that's if someone doesn't plan to use it

October 8th, 2017 08:00

Hi there,

I know this topic has not been active for some time. But I just wanted to ask for your inputs regarding CPU cooler replacement for XPS 8910/8920.

I bought the NH-L9i, and I have been trying to install it. The problem is I first need to remove the OEM backplate from the back of the motherboard. If you look at the picture below, the OEM backplate consists of two backplates: the bigger (and outer one) is for the OEM heatsink, and the inner one is to hold the CPU retention bracket (on the other side). These two backplates are attached with each other by some type of adhesive.

I think I can detach both of the backplates from the motherboard by simply removing the CPU retention bracket on the front side (three 6-point-star screws, see pic below). Then I can install NH-L91 using NM-IBT4 mounting screws (things seem fit very well). However, I still need to have the inner backplate back to hold the CPU retention bracket from the other side. Since it is hard (and may void the warranty) to separate the current OEM outer and inner backplates and re-use the inner one, I am thinking to get another (similar) inner backplate installed. Do you think it is feasible doing that? I guess such an inner backplate is pretty popular, and easy to purchase?

Thank you.

25 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 05:00

Does anyone know the part number for the "high capacity thermal heat sink" used in the 8910/20/30 with the k processors?

No Events found!