Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2017 19:00

XPS 8910, sound card, installation

I'm having trouble installing a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx. This ought to be a snap. I couldn't disable the onboard audio chipset using BIOS, so I went ahead and installed the card and the software. The installation appeared to be successful. The operating system recognized the sound card. Sound came out garbled. I disabled the onboard Realtek audio but no change. Is there a conflict with the onboard sound chipset?  How can I disable onboard audio? Merry Christmas!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 07:00

The only way I know of is to disable it in the Device Manager. Did you test that PCIe x1 sound card in both of the #14 PCIe x1 slots?

These were the PCIe x1 sound cards used in the XPS desktop line =
0DR8F Sound Blaster Recon3D
F333J Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
J75NW Sound Blaster Recon3D SB1350

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 12:00

Thanks very much for your response, but still no luck.  The installed graphics card covers one of the PCIe x1 slots, but I did try using both the open x1 and x4 slots.

I use Device Manager to uninstall the Realtek sound card, but I found that the operating system eventually reinstalls it (no speakers attached to the Realtek output jack).

I've tried removing the Soundblaster completely, hardware and software, and carefully reinstalling, but I get the same results.  The audio is scratchy, as if the volume were too loud, but also the sound glides back and forth between channels and also sometimes slows down and speeds up.

This is the first computer I've had where I can't turn off integrated audio using BIOS.  The Sound Blaster card only cost $40 so I could just throw it away and give up, but I need an input jack that the onboard Realtek doesn't offer.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 12:00

Hopefully another 8910 user can post their thoughts. For testing purposes only, you could remove the added video card and use the onboard Intel HD GPU. That would free up the other PCIe x1 slot to test on that sound card.

No Events found!