Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2017 22:00

XPS 8920 won't wake up from sleep by touching keyboard or trackball

I tried all the settings; ( hibernation, hybrid sleep, sleep, etc.) in the power settings area to no avail. My "old" xps 8500 always woke up by touching any key but I can't get the new xps 8920 to do it after a week of trying.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 4th, 2017 13:00

Reboot and *immediately* press F2 to open BIOS setup.

Find the USB Wake Support (S3) option and set it to Enabled. Don't change anything else in BIOS setup but be sure to save the change to Wake Support before exiting setup.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 1st, 2017 10:00

Power Options - Advanced

USB Wake Support (S3)

Allows you to enable the USB devices to wake the computer from Standby

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8920-desktop_service manual_en-us.pdf

732 Posts

November 30th, 2017 20:00

There was no USB wake support in the bios.

307 Posts

December 1st, 2017 05:00

Are you sure there is no USB Wake Support in the BIOS? According to the Service Manual USB Wake Support (S3) is under Power Options.

732 Posts

December 1st, 2017 09:00

I downloaded latest bios firmware 1.10.1 and will look again.

732 Posts

December 1st, 2017 12:00

I found it and it is now working............thanks! I don't see why they don't enable all of them or just leave that out of the bios so we all don't have to jump through so many hoops.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 1st, 2017 13:00

I keep telling 'em to Enable USB Wake by default. Don't know why they don't listen to lil' ole me... :emotion-5:

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

Sorry RoHe, you had two posts going here.  I was I think the original post regarding this problem.  Regardless I have bee working with another blogger (take a look at the threads) and this did not solve my problem.  I have since gone through a long list of suggestions, but so far no success. This is just for info, it wouldn't be fair to have both of you gone down separate paths.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

Sorry RoHe, you had two posts going here.  I was I think the original post regarding this problem.  Regardless I have bee working with another blogger (take a look at the threads) and this did not solve my problem.  I have since gone through a long list of suggestions, but so far no success. This is just for info, it wouldn't be fair to have both of you gone down separate paths. 

Huh??  

This thread is totally independent of yours, but on the surface appears to be similar to your thread - and the exact same problem that has been posted innumerable times of these forums about enabling USB Wake Support in BIOS.

I'm the one helping your in your own thread, which is more complicated since enabling USB Wake Support hasn't helped you, even though it completely fixed the problem for the user who started this thread.

732 Posts

December 4th, 2017 10:00

Not quite fixed, it works for about an hour or so then goes back to the non-waking problem. I didn't see anything under power options (from the control panel, not the bios) that would affect anything.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 4th, 2017 10:00

:emotion-6:

Rather than repeat everything here, read my suggestions to richard1939 here:

en.community.dell.com/.../20025253

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 4th, 2017 18:00

What was "already done"? Everything I suggested in robert1939's thread, or just enabling USB Wake Support in BIOS?

732 Posts

December 4th, 2017 18:00

That was already done but it only partially fixed it. It only works right for about an hour and then goes back to not waking up again.

732 Posts

December 4th, 2017 19:00

Both, everything is done in the bios

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 4th, 2017 19:00

Please be specific! I suggested a whole lot of things, aside from changing that BIOS setting in Robert's thread.

If you don't tell me *exactly* what you've done, I can't give you any other suggestions to fix this problem and I can't reach out to my Dell tech support contact until I can give them a complete picture of the problem and what was tried that didn't help...

No Events found!