Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2017 22:00

XPS 8920 won't wake up from sleep by touching keyboard or trackball

I tried all the settings; ( hibernation, hybrid sleep, sleep, etc.) in the power settings area to no avail. My "old" xps 8500 always woke up by touching any key but I can't get the new xps 8920 to do it after a week of trying.

732 Posts

December 4th, 2017 21:00

You said to go into the bios>power options>advanced>enable usb wake. I did all that and it started waking by touching any key or mouse BUT now that only works for an hour or so and it goes back into the no waking problem. (It only works well for an hour).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 5th, 2017 10:00

You're missing my whole point... !

READ THIS THREAD!   en.community.dell.com/.../20025253

I posted a very LONG list of other things to try in that thread when enabling USB Wake Support in BIOS didn't fix this problem for richard1939.

If you don't want to try those other things, then I give up because I won't be able to help you.

732 Posts

December 5th, 2017 13:00

I did everything you originally suggested and it works now but only for an hour.

732 Posts

December 6th, 2017 09:00

I did everything you suggested and it's still not waking after an hour by tapping a key.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 6th, 2017 10:00

What about moving the mouse?

Where are mouse and keyboard connected? To rear USB2 ports or somewhere else? Try connecting to different rear USB2 or USB3 ports.

I'll ping my Dell tech contact...

732 Posts

December 6th, 2017 14:00

Tried the mouse many times. Tried different usb ports.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 6th, 2017 15:00

A quick Google shows that many different PC models/brands are experiencing USB Wake issues after updating to Win 10 Fall Creators Build 1709, eg:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../i-have-a-pc-that-will-not-wake-from-standby-since-build-1709-fall-creators-update

So at this point, I don't think there's anything else to do until MacroStupid fixes their latest mess. I guess you could set Sleep to Never, and set hard drive and monitor to turn off after some fixed interval. At least that should save some energy...

732 Posts

December 6th, 2017 16:00

OK thanks for your help...........Brent

732 Posts

December 7th, 2017 06:00

It's all fixed, I disabled hibernation sleep.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 7th, 2017 10:00

1 Message

January 1st, 2018 15:00

Thanks RoHe--followed your advice and my new XPS wakes with a simple key stroke.  Happy New Year

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 09:00

I am having this problem too on my xps8920. I have updated the bios and set the appropriate wake flag, updated all of the intel drivers from the intel website because dell lags behind in these. I have set all the appropriate checkboxes in the windows power management app to allow usb devices to wake the pc. None of these things have stopped the problem. This is very, very inconvenient and costly in terms of power consumption and lost productivity when things that take time, like bulk copying and video rendering, are in progress.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

dholeman1 -  Did you disable Hibernation in the active Power Plan?

I guess you could set Sleep and Hibernation to "never" and just set the power plan to turn off the monitor and hard drive after a certain period of inactivity, at least for now...

And you have to be careful about downloading drivers directly from Intel. Dell sometimes tweaks drivers for their specific hardware and native Intel drivers may -or not- work correctly.

No Events found!