Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2009 17:00

XPS 9000: How in the world do you open the CD/DVD drawer!?

OK, got new XPS 9000 desktop.  Nice box, but...

...how in the world do you open the CD/DVD drawer!?

I suspect it can be opened via software, and "smash" into the drawer holding it open.  Alternatively, you can squeeze a guitar pick or something WAY down in there, but seriously folks, I've GOT to be missing something!!

1 Message

February 28th, 2011 18:00

I was stumped at first, too.  To open it or close it, there is a hard to find "button" on the front face of the box, just to the right of the hinged door.  It looks like part of the shiny black face, but it is a button.  It's amazing they didn't bother to mention it in the manual.

1 Message

January 19th, 2012 12:00

Found out how to open the cd/dvd drawer by accident. along side of the the drawer that opens ..on the outside right is a narrow blace piece with 3 little dots on it that looks like it's just part of the case. Anyway push on the the bar dots and it opens and closes.  Hope this helps. I was about ready to send the whole thing back.

1.3K Posts

Could be a "Slot Load" drive like the one in the link below?

http://store.mo-co-so.com/externalusbslotloadingdvdrrwdrive-p-148.html

100 Posts

No...

...it's a garden-variety CD/DVD drive.  It is just that the button is pretty-much out-of-reach.  My wife's Inspiron 530 is a little hard to get to, but at least you can push the button, on this, you can't push the button with your finger!

Could be a "Slot Load" drive like the one in the link below?

http://store.mo-co-so.com/externalusbslotloadingdvdrrwdrive-p-148.html

100 Posts

October 2nd, 2009 18:00

First thing I referenced (along with all the other on-line documentation & Google).

On page 17, I see #6, the optical drive referenced, but it doesn't even mention there is a door that swings open, let alone a button.  Problem is, once I swing open the door, the button to open the drive is hidden.  I know where it is, so I can stick a guitar pick in there to open it, but once open, I can't push the button to close it!

I need to install a lot of software this weekend, so this is a Major Bummer(tm).

Has Dell gone to Springfield and hired Homer?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 2nd, 2009 18:00

4.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 16:00

Not sure it's the same on the XPS9000 as on my XPS630, but in principle when you push on the lid (or door) covering the drive to open it, as the lid opens a lever pushes onto the drive's button, so opening the drive. However if the drive is slightly misaligned (e.g. too far back) this does not work properly. It is the necessary to take off the front panel and reseat the drive. A bit fiddly.

January 19th, 2012 12:00

I had a similar experience recently with a new HP and a new Acer ... the button was integrated into the case - on the side - and looked like part of the case design rather than a button.  Must be the "in" thing to do :)

1 Message

July 5th, 2015 10:00

OMG Thank You!! Boy was I feeling dumb!! Found it!! :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 5th, 2015 20:00

jutebox

jutebox

Glad to have helped.

Bev.

1 Message

November 13th, 2016 14:00

Thank you! I don't know how many times I stared at it and still didn't know how to open. 3 Little dots did it!

This is actually on the center right on the CD drawer itself. Thanks again!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 13th, 2016 15:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

No Events found!