Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

15 Posts

December 11th, 2009 14:00

UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

So I just got off the phone with the Dell order status rep who told me that my order was delayed until 1/11.  I was not the least bit surprised.  I informed her that yesterday a rep told me the computer was finished and just needed to ship.  I told her that I specifically asked "so it is done being built?" and he said "yes".  She apologised and said though she hoped it would be here by the 11th of january she couldnt gaurantee anything.  That phrase is gonna haunt a lot of us forever I think.  I am on the phone right now canceling my order.  Im done with this.   If they credit my account quickly I will be going to the local large electronics dealer to pick up the exact Dell computer i orderd for 100$ less.  yes i know i should buy a different brand but these dells are cheap.  Probably cause they dont have to pay a lot for manufactuiring!!!

Honestly, Im not even really angry anymore.  More amazed. 

So far the first rep said she would immediatly send an email to cancel the order.  Of course, i dont believe a word they say anymore so I am also on the line (ON HOLD) with the Dell rep from the customer service dept at the # given in an earlier post.  I will cancel again.  Atleast the suspense is over.  If i dont check back in with you guys, GOOD LUCK!!!  If you ask me just cancel and go to your local dealer and get the same deal.  Maybe its just cause I live in an urban area but 1 store did have the comp i wanted.  Just so you know you can find an XPS 8000 with an I7 8gb ram 240s for just above 1g.

10 Posts

December 11th, 2009 18:00

I won't say this absolves Dell of not having a good grasp on supply chain and demand, but my local NPR station reported that the PC manufacturing plant that Dell built in NC is not being closed as quickly as they had planned due to a spike in demand.  They recently built a plant after getting lots of tax incentives, then essentially reneiged on the deal after announcing the closure (originally scheduled for 2 weeks or so from now), paid back a bunch of the incentives (and got a discount on the payback for paying it all at once!), etc...  Half the workforce has already been laid off, the other half is getting retention bonuses to stay until April (hope it doesn't take that long to get my system!).    Basically it looks like Dell got caught flatfooted when the efforts they went to to boost business actually caught fire.

I agree given the fact they have orders in hand, they should be able to match leadtimes to production schedules with an EDI system and give pretty accurate build times unless something seriously went haywire.

On the other hand, a quick Google search turns up shipping delays such as these in 2007 and 2006, so this shouldn't be a surprise to us or them.

46 Posts

December 12th, 2009 01:00

AnClar:

I feel your pain.  I am in the same situation as you, waiting for a new XPS 9000 as a warranty replacement for a defective 435MT.  Like you, my unit went "In Production" on 11/27 and the order status has shown "Data Temporarily Unavailable".  I was told it would take 10-14 days for me to receive the replacement, but after reading this thread I really don't expect to see my unit anytime soon. It's really sad to see how bad Dell has gotten with its customer service.

Chris

December 12th, 2009 12:00

Ordered 11/27 and original delivery date for me 12/16.    Just update to 1/12 expected delivery date.  Just spoke to the rep. who told me the delay is not due to1 part in particular but rather higher than expected demand for the XPS 9000.  I had also paid $20 extra for 3rd day delivery and asked to have the charge removed since I only selected it to make sure I received by the original date.  They wouldn't do it. 

Reason?  When I placed the order Dell actually thought they would deliver the machine to me by that date.  So Dell acted in good faith and the delivery date and the expidited order are not linked.  Huh?  Talk about twisted logic.   Wasn't even worth arguing with the rep about and actually made me laugh. 

He's just the poor guy on the phone trying to do his job.  The company line sure doesn't make it any easier for him. 

5 Posts

December 12th, 2009 14:00

Well, I'm in the same boat as all of you.  I placed an order for the XPS 8000 on 11/29/09 with an EDD of 12/16/09.  I went online to check the status of the order, and find out that the EDD has been updated to 1/5/2010!!!  Seriously?  They didn't even bother to send me an email about this "update."  I would have not known had I not taken it upon myself to check their website.  That alone is enough to send anyone into a rage, but what really infuriates me is that whatever problem Dell is having with these XPS systems (shortages of core i7/i5's, video cards, HDDs, keyboards, boxes, and whatever other mess they can think up), it has clearly been going on since AT LEAST October, but their website fails to reflect this at all!  I just went on there to customize a new system identical to the one I ordered, but without the Nvidia 260GTX video card (which is no longer offered for the 8000 series), and the EDD was 12/24/09!  Are you kidding me?  That is a blatant lie.   They know good and well that they don't even have the parts to manufacture the system by that time, but they're willing to claim that they can have it shipped by then?  What kind of crooked operation are they running over there? 

I am beyond upset, and from what I've read here, I only have more, and more, AND MORE delays to look forward to when they fail to have mine shipped by 1/5/2010.  This is why I am already doing whatever I can to cancel this order, before it gets any more out of hand.  I feel like a complete clown, too, because I have been researching similar systems offered by other companies, and many of them are better than the XPS 8000, and cheaper.

On a side note, I remember reading that someone received a monitor (only the monitor) just a few days after placing their order.  This also happened to me, but it was a REFURBISHED monitor, which they, no doubt, would have tried to pass off as my real, new monitor had I not started an inquiry into the matter.  I still have the piece of junk at my house, and they're suppose to come pick it up.  This is by far the worst customer service experience I have ever had with an online transaction.  Ever.  Dell can guarantee that they will never again receive a dime from me in the future.   

67 Posts

December 12th, 2009 15:00

I ordered my xps 8000 on 11/18 it got delayed for the 2nd time until 12/21 yeah right Im sure it will get delayed again. I'm on hold right now with them and going  to cancel my order if they don't want my business then I'll go somewhere else...

10 Posts

December 12th, 2009 19:00

So here's a dumb question that a Dell representative could answer...

Is there a difference between an "updated" EDD and a "delay"?

For those of you receiving "delay" emails, is your customer number attached to your My Account?  What does your order status page say..."updated" or "delayed"?

I can't add my Customer number to My Account, not sure why so I either have to type in my Purchase ID number and zip code in EVERY time, or go find my original order e-mail because I haven't received any update/delay e-mails from Dell.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2009 20:00

I would also like to know why my posts keep getting deleted.  I didn't even get a email on the last one.  I am well within the DELL TOS.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2009 20:00

How is this marked "Accepted Solutions"?

Is this because we know already we are getting screwed?

December 13th, 2009 07:00

My post was also deleted. I wrote about the procedure to escalate your complaint with dell. I guess they don't want informed grumpy customers.

My order now says N/A in the estimated delivery date. Does this mean I'm hosed?

December 13th, 2009 17:00

I did the same as Aquialfog and checked a new order online.  It indicated it would ship before Christmas.  This is obviously untrue unless a miracle occurs.

Aquialfog - what systems did yo find that are, in your opinion, better than the Dell?  Just in case i have to cancel.

As had been said here before, if Dell would just come out and tell us what is going on it would be much better.  Tomorrow i expect to check the status of my order and see another delay.  BTW I also have not yet received any email from Dell regarding the delays.

December 13th, 2009 20:00

Am happy to say that i have cancelled my order. Taking my money elsewhere. End of fustration.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2009 22:00

I am, at this point, livid...

After having to deal with getting the runaround from Dell customer service representatives, as they tried to prevent me from canceling my order, I finally got through to someone who appeared to be cooperative (I called the number someone gave a few pages back in this thread).  She took my information and said that she canceled my order, and that I should get an email about it and see the status of the order updated.  This was over 24 hours ago.  Guess what?  No email, no status update.  This is sleaziness at a whole 'nother level.  Any respect I have ever had for this company has gone completely out the window.  I have now had to inform my bank to block any attempts by Dell to charge my account, because if they think for a minute I am paying for anything, the joke's on them.

Regarding ResignedToWait's question.  I originally found four systems that were better than the one I was getting through Dell.  Two are from HP, and the other two weren't from well known companies.  After looking into the two brand-less ones, though, I decided that they were probably as trustworthy as Dell, so I am planning on getting an HP system now.  Please keep in mind that I'm a university student, so all my costs are after factoring in the student discounts that both companies offer. 

Here it goes, I am looking at the Elite e9250t and e9270t (I was originally getting the XPS 8000 from Dell with the i5 750 2.66ghz processor, Nvidia 260GTX, and 4 gigs of RAM.).  The e9250t is the cheaper of the two, and I configured it so that it had 6 gigs of RAM, the same graphics card, same size HDD, same size monitor, and the same processor for about $125 less than the system I had through Dell.  The e9270 was configured with the i7 860 2.88ghz processor, 6 gigs of RAM, same graphics card, a HDD with 110 more gbs of space, and the same size monitor.  All for about $50 more than what I was getting though Dell, which is a solid deal, in my opinion.      

8 Posts

December 13th, 2009 23:00

Sorry I wouldn't buy a HP unless my life depended on it..lol

I was buying the dell for no intrest for one year from there program.  I canceled my order today and built a system off newegg.

I lost all hope for Dell.

December 14th, 2009 04:00

I have been totally disgusted with the whole experience dealing with DELL. First of all, if DELL cannot delivered on time, is it the fault of us, the consumer?  I called last week to cancel my order and was advised to call on Monday (14 Dec 09) to check on the status of my PC. (i ordered on 27 Nov 09). I was assured that i could cancel my order if the delivery cannot be done by 17 Dec 09. Separately i sent an email to confirm this decision.  On monday (14 Dec 09), i called at around 10 am and was informed by a lady that the delivery would be late, but she was not in a position to do the cancellation. She would arranged a sales rep to follow up with me by the end of the day. At 1 pm, not trusting DELL to handle this decently, i called again and another lady answered, (Both calls were made to the customer care). She said she was able to cancel immediately, and gave me case ID. At around 3 pm, i got a reply of email from the one i send last friday, saying that it was too late to cancel my order. I would have to accept the system then to arrange for return. It was totally ridculous, where on one hand, i was told to be patient as the parts are not in to assemble the system, yet on the other hand, the order was too late?   What then amazed me was that i made a call third time to the customer service, and to only found out the earlier case no given was invalid. A FAKE ID. What was more amazing was that all the earlier calls i made on the cancellation was not recorded. While the few times i was assured that my order was cancelled was not captured in the system. In that final call, i was told that i have to pay a penalty fee for processing of the cancellation. I was totally disgusted over the whole incident. While i have already separately filed a complaint to the local consumer agency (In singapore, the agency is CASE), i have pressed on with my cancellation, with or without the penalty. For those who suffered the same, PLS DO NOT DIGNIFY SUCH UNETHICAL business practise by accepting the system.  For me, i am taking my money elsewhere, and will definitely be doing my part to warn those around me in dealing with DELL.

No Events found!