Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

2 Intern

• 

262 Posts

December 17th, 2009 07:00

I guess I raised enough of a stink to get them to expedite the shipping!

And that's the majority of my dissatisfaction with Dell.  No one should have to "raise a stink" with a company to get them to be responsive.  If Dell would be open and responsive to what is happening when it affects customers, I'd be a lot more inclined to want to do business with them.

17 Posts

December 17th, 2009 07:00

I've been reading this thread for the last two weeks or so now, so I thought I would chime in with my experiences..

I ordered an XPS 8000 through Dell epp on 11/24 and was given a shipping date of 12/14, of course that was delayed and the new shipping date is now 1/5. I expected the delay (thanks to this forum) and although I was anxious to get the system before xmas, I accepted  the facts ... as annoying and frustrating as they are! I contacted Dell 4 days ago to check on the status and grumble a bit and was told there were no shortages of parts and that they were overwhlemed with orders for the XPS 8000 "every other order is for the XPS 8000". ok. 

My biggest complaint was with the process I went through just to get the system ordered. I spent several hours on the phone with people who spoke very poor english or with accents so thick I could hardly understand them. I was transferred 24 times (I really did count)  until I had someone who would even listen to me for more than 1 minute and take the order and send me the quote so the order could be placed with my company.. it was almost as if ... they were doing everything possible NOT to take my order; which makes absolutely no sense!  Now one would think that I must've been an absolute nightmare customer .. but in fact I stayed calm, was very polite and understanding (my phone motto: catch more bees with honey), and yet I was talked to as if I was a bother, a nuisance trying to place an order and give them my money.. seriously what has happened to Dell? I remember calling in to customer service in Ireland with a slight XPS issue and being treated like gold, like I was Dell himself!  I've previoulsy purchased at least 6 computers from Dell (and mutiple others items) and have spoken very highly of them to everyone ... I feel so silly and ignorant now.

Dell...good luck with the customer service in India thing .. (pssst. that's not working out so well for you.) I challenge Mr. Dell/ all on the board of directors, to call in anonymously to Dell and attempt to order an XPS system through the epp.  Check up on your company personally, each of you, it's the least you could do. I use to think of Dell as a wonderful quality brand, now, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I've been a Dell customer for so many years ...

Delay Issue: As of yesterday, I was notified through email that the XPS's are now rolling off the line and shipping out; I should I have an updated shipping date within a few days.

23 Posts

December 17th, 2009 08:00

[quote user="planoindians"]

I guess I raised enough of a stink to get them to expedite the shipping!

And that's the majority of my dissatisfaction with Dell.  No one should have to "raise a stink" with a company to get them to be responsive.  If Dell would be open and responsive to what is happening when it affects customers, I'd be a lot more inclined to want to do business with them.

[/quote]

agreed. I called at least 20 times, I think most of the employees at the 9897 number know me on a first name basis.. after a while I just gave up, shouldn't have to go through that..

2 Posts

December 17th, 2009 08:00

After successfully canceling my XPS 8000, I ordered a HP from Best Buy with almost the exact same spec as the Dell (I5 vs I7 processor but, better graphic card) for just about the same amount. Best Buy had it at my door within 3 days, free shipping.

I can understand delays but what I absolutely will not tolerate is being lied to. The 'customer service' in India out and out lied to me. As soon as I said "cancel" - 'oh, our system is down for maintenance' Then why can I hear you typing in all the other info you asked me?!

Buh, bye, Dell you lost a customer..........

4 Posts

December 17th, 2009 09:00

Well I now know that Dell is watching these forums as I just had a post deleted by them for mentioning something that is forbidden.  Basically I mentioned that someone had advised me on how to handle my cancellation of lack of by Dell.  If people on this forum are receiving emails of each post then they can check out my "forbidden" post.  Basically Dell has just proven to me that they are acting in a total unprofessional manner.  They can patrol the boards for "forbidden" or "offensive" posts but no one can address the issues that we all have.  Pretty sad.  Anyway...My HP computer should be enroute to me tomorrow. Hey Dell...by deleting my post and emailing me about while not repsonding to my other emails and inquiries you have just added to my paper trail at this point I'll accept no further responsibility on this order.  Emails, phone calls, etc have gone unanswered except in the case of my FORBIDDEN POST.  LOL give me a break.

2 Intern

• 

262 Posts

December 17th, 2009 11:00

We are not ignoring the delay issues. I am in meetings discussing the very thing.

OK...that's appreciated Chris.  And somewhere in your discussions, can you perhaps find out why a response is taking as long as it is?  There are over 250 messages in this thread, not counting the earlier thread, going back at least a couple of months.  I can't believe that it took this long for Dell to realize it had a problem.  All that would have been needed initially was a "Hey guys and gals, we've got a bit of a shipping issue due to (whatever the reasons are).  We apologize for the delay and will work to correct it as soon as we can.  Thanks for your understanding, and we'll keep you all updated."

Thanks for the message Chris, we'll look forward to a response.

27 Posts

Agreed.. The last person I talked to on the phone, I told that if I was given the correct information about what is going on with my system, I can make an informed decision about whether or not I want or can wait for the system to finally be shipped or go with another make.. It just gets frustrating when the only communication you receive is an automated email that tells you that once again your system is being delayed..

14 Posts

I've gotten my second delay e-mail, the EDD is now changed to 12/31/2009

But at least it's not that far away.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

We are not ignoring the delay issues. I am in meetings discussing the very thing.

10 Posts

December 17th, 2009 12:00

Be glad you get update e-mails.  My only source of non-phone updates is the website.

3 Posts

Well, sorry, Dell.

My XPS 8000 ordered on 11/27/2009 was delayed until 1/4/2010.  I am traveling across the country to install it, and needed it delivered by the end of the year when I will fly home.  I called Dell, waiting on hold for almost an hour (when the automated system said the wait would be 5 minutes) but the customer service rep said there was no way for me to upgrade my shipping from 5-7 day to 2-day, even though I was fine with paying for the upgrade myself.  I emailed US_Dell_Notify@dell.com with my order number asking to cancel, and they did so within 48 hours with no hassle.

I ordered an equivalent HP system on the afternoon of 12/15 for slightly less money than the Dell and with free shipping, and FedEx tells me it will be delivered tomorrow (12/18).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

6 Posts

Great to hear some progress.  I would still encourage anyone that has time to make their experience with Dell more public.  Communicating our frustration to this forum is not enough and apparently isn't very effective at driving change.  Providing potential new customers with EDDs earlier than those that already have orders in is just insane and dishonest.  I'm not sure the best place to provide reviews...I put one on CNET and Dell's site.  I see my review on Dell isn't up yet (maybe it wasn't approved?).

39 Posts

December 17th, 2009 16:00

Thanks Chris, I am sure we all realized Dell was trying to address the issue but it is good to see an acknowledgement of the problem.  Thanks again.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2009 17:00

Hey Gamut,

Thanks for your post.  I've tried to cancel my order through the website but no confirmation of cancellation yet.  I will try the email address you provided.  Like you I also ordered through HP.  I did so on 12/15 and is route to me as we speak and will have it here on Monday the 21st.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2009 17:00

Order Date : 11/10/2009 XPS 8000, i7 860, 8GB RAM, 1024MB nVidia GeForce GT220 Shipped: 12/17/09.

No Events found!