Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

December 19th, 2009 09:00

I think it may be the 1TB hard drive.  I have that drive in my xps 8000 config and mine has not shipped yet either.  

My XPS 9000 has a 1TB hard drive, and it shipped on 12/16.

7 Posts

The XPS 8000 I've been waiting on since 10/31/2009 was dead stock from the base configuration save for an upgrade to 4GB of RAM and the addition of Office 2007 Home/Student.

Neither of which should cause any delays whatsoever based on what else I'm seeing reported shipped out.

And frankly, if it IS a lower-spec component causing delays at this point, at a MINIMUM Dell should be notifying us which parts are holding things up and offer a chance to bump up to an available part.  If they actually did more than pay lip service to customer service, they'd be offering free upgrades of the machines to whatever will get them out the door as a goodwill gesture and and apology for such levels of delays.

That aside, I came here this morning and saw that once again people have been getting ship notices on machines ordered significantly after mine. 

I checked my order status again (on the "90 days" page, since it no longer shows up on the "45 days" page), and surprise! 

New EDD of 1/5/2010

Once again, no email notification was given.  No opportunity to cancel was afforded, just another stealth date slip in the hopes (presumably) I wouldn't notice and they could skirt the FTC rules.

Congratulations, you've just lost a long time customer, and I can promise you I won't be referring anyone to Dell in the future, and will in fact actively discourage everyone I can from ordering from Dell.  No more machines ordered for me, no more machines ordered for extended family and relatives, no more machines ordered for my clients.

But hey, look.  All the retail outlets seem to have plenty of stock.

That's why there are delays - Dell's priority is feeding Best Buy and Wal-Mart, not us.

14 Posts

At this point I really don't think it is (I ordered a 1TB)- maybe we'll never know?

2 Posts

I think it may be the 1TB hard drive.  I have that drive in my xps 8000 config and mine has not shipped yet either.  

27 Posts

My config was also stock except for the upgrade to the i7-860 from the i5-750..  That can't be than holdup since someone else here with the same processor and who ordered after me, has already received a shipped notice.. I still think that the systems with significant discounts are pushed back while the orders that they are making more money on, are getting preferential treatment.. It makes sense to me.. I mean, you get an order for 2 of the same exact systems, one which cost the customer 900 dollars and one that cost the customer 1200 dollars, both being same specs, which one do you try and get out first?  After I received my discount, I went directly to the Dell page and configured the same exact system and it came out being almost 300 dollars more.. Dell, if you don't plan of honoring the discounts, DO NOT offer them..

14 Posts

December 19th, 2009 10:00

n2speed125

Did you go directly to the Dell website and configure your system there ?
Yes. On November 22nd, I put in my order. That was when the whole Black Friday b/s was going on.

And has it yet shipped?
Supposedly, from what my e-mail tells me, on December 18th.

Without shipping, taxes, etcetera, I paid $1709.00 (stating the price because I wasn't sure how to answer, "I would like to ask how you ordered your system?")

7 Posts

On PC Mag's website, Dell states the reason for delays is due to  "memory and large-capacity hard drives as being in short supply. "

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357341,00.asp

Which doesn't pass the "sniff test" when you consider that many machines with twice the memory and HDD capacity and which were ordered a month or more after mine are getting shipped out.

If that were truly the case, there wouldn't be a backlog of lower-spec machines.

Additional, the online system builder is not warning of any potential delays for the specific parts in the machine I had ordered.  If they were truly experiencing shortages of certain parts like that, I'd expect they would have some up front notice about it, just as they often have in the past.

That may be what they claim, but if you actually look at the situation it doesn't seem to hold up.

27 Posts

If people here don't mind, I would like to ask how you ordered your system? When was it ordered? And has it yet shipped? .. I'm not asking for price paid, cause that will be obvious from the answers about how you ordered your system?

Did you go directly to the Dell website and configure your system there (without a link from another website taking you there)?

Did you use a link from a deal page (Shopper.cnet.com)?

Employee discount through your company?

BTW, I ordered through the Shopper.Cnet.com website and paid 919.00 with the i7-860, 640gb HD, 20in LCD, and 6GB of RAM..

19 Posts

On PC Mag's website, Dell states the reason for delays is due to  "memory and large-capacity hard drives as being in short supply. "

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357341,00.asp

7 Posts

My config was also stock except for the upgrade to the i7-860 from the i5-750..  That can't be than holdup since someone else here with the same processor and who ordered after me, has already received a shipped notice.. I still think that the systems with significant discounts are pushed back while the orders that they are making more money on, are getting preferential treatment.. It makes sense to me.. I mean, you get an order for 2 of the same exact systems, one which cost the customer 900 dollars and one that cost the customer 1200 dollars, both being same specs, which one do you try and get out first?  After I received my discount, I went directly to the Dell page and configured the same exact system and it came out being almost 300 dollars more.. Dell, if you don't plan of honoring the discounts, DO NOT offer them..

Given the promotions applied to my order as well and the situation as it appears from this side of the fence, at this point I suspect very strongly that you may be correct.

If true, while it may not be illegal, it's definitely shady.

39 Posts

December 19th, 2009 11:00

Ordered directly from the Dell website. Did not get as good of a deal as nicoledi4ne.

19 Posts

December 19th, 2009 11:00

Ordered 12/9 through my company's EPP.  Has not shipped yet.  Was given a build date of 12/23 and EDD of 12/30.  Still shows "In Production" status.

XPS 8000, i5, 640 gb HD, 6 GB RAM, GeForce 220, no monitor.

28 Posts

December 19th, 2009 12:00

I tried to order directly through the website on 12/03. I had added my machine to my shopping cart on 12/02 for a deal that was scheduled to end on 12/03. I did a little more research before "checking out," since I thought I had another day until the deal was over. When I went to purchase it the next day, the link on my shopping cart was no longer working, so I used the live chat on the Dell site to see if I could still get the same deal. The sales rep was able to get me a very similar deal and I ended up making the purchase through the live chat with the sales rep. I then received a phone call a little while later confirming my billing information.

Original EDD: 12/23

Ship date: 12/16

Updated EDD: 12/22

XPS 9000, i7-920, 1TB HD, 9GB RAM, GeForce 220, 24" monitor.

Wow... that's impressive given the general chaos around ordering right now.  Looks like interfacing with a "real person" may be the ticket!  Enjoy your new computer!

I tried to order directly through the website on 12/03. I had added my machine to my shopping cart on 12/02 for a deal that was scheduled to end on 12/03. I did a little more research before "checking out," since I thought I had another day until the deal was over. When I went to purchase it the next day, the link on my shopping cart was no longer working, so I used the live chat on the Dell site to see if I could still get the same deal. The sales rep was able to get me a very similar deal and I ended up making the purchase through the live chat with the sales rep. I then received a phone call a little while later confirming my billing information.

Original EDD: 12/23

Ship date: 12/16

Updated EDD: 12/22

XPS 9000, i7-920, 1TB HD, 9GB RAM, GeForce 220, 24" monitor.

11 Posts

Ordered 11/13 through the website.  Has not shipped yet.  Was given a build date of 12/2 and EDD of 12/9, 12/16, 12/23.  Still shows "In Production" status.

XPS 8000, i7, 1 tb HD, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 260, 24' monitor. $1450

No Events found!