Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

108 Posts

January 4th, 2010 20:00

That is interesting.  When I was in there looking this afternoon, 3 of them disappeared while I was at the site. Do you mean are they using them to fill some of the backlog?  Maybe.  Someone in this thread suggested that there was a shortage of chassis, could they be taking these, stripping them down far enough to be able to call them new and then shipping them as new?  Otherwise, there is still such a demand for this computer that the sales people have been referring customers to the outlet. 

108 Posts

January 4th, 2010 21:00

They sold it through the outlet and started a new one in production in a little village in Pakistan - oh yeah, did you hear about the bombing in Pakistan, I think that was where it was in production!

BTW, I just checked the HP site.  They have a model called the e9250t that can be configured like your XPS 8000.  With my configuration it ended up about $45 more than what Dell is charging, but, they gave an EDD of 1/11.  I can't cancel my Dell order without penalty until they delay my shipping date the first time, so I am still on hold.  However, if they were to delay my shipping tomorrow, I would cancel and go back to HP.  One trick I learned at the HP site that is different than Dell, they offer downgrades of equipment that you might not want, for example, the standard offers a blu-ray drive, I wouldn't use a blu-ray, so I could click the drop down menu and downgrade to a standard 16x DVD burner and shave $180 off the price.  Also, if you can live with 6MB RAM instead of 8, they are offering a free upgrade from the 4 MB price, quite a savings over the cost of 8MB from Dell. You can always get additional memory later if you really need (or want) it.

152 Posts

January 4th, 2010 21:00

I did put one together and its not anywhere close to what I paid for Dell. I am sticking to my deal!

13 Posts

January 5th, 2010 05:00

Hi Gang,

Here's an update on my refurbished XPS 8000 order:  wireless keyboard--billed 1/4, left Sharonville PA 1/4, in New Station PA 4:15 a.m. 1/5, SDD 1/6 UPS; SX2210 monitor--billed 1/4, departed Columbus OH 1/4, in New Stanton PA 6:39 a.m. 1/5, SDD 1/6 UPS; XPS 8000 CPU--shipping info to Fed Ex 1/4, arrived Fed Ex Nashville 1/5 2:57 a.m., left Nashville 5:10 a.m. 1/5, EDD 1/6 Fed Ex.  I ordered the computer 1/1 online.  This will be our 8th Dell computer over the last 12 years.

I'll update as they make their way to Annaoplis.

Moe

30 Posts

January 5th, 2010 09:00

nimche,

looks like we ordered almost the same exact system (except video card) around the same time.

This is my first post here, but I've been reading posts as I too am waiting for my XPS 8000.  I actually ordered 4 computers (1 studio 17 laptop, 3 XPS 8000s)

Ordered on 12/04/2009, order acknowledgement  on 12/4/09, order confirmation 12/6/09 (after I emailed and called wondering where the confirmation was)

That should have given me a clue as to customer service!  So according to them Ordered - 12/6/09

EDD-12/29/09 (was 12/23/09 during checkout, until delayed order confirmation!)

Studio 17 was delivered 12/16/09

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM / 8GB / Dell 1520 802.11n Half Mini-card

still waiting on XPS 8000s

#1 - i7 - 860 - 8GB RAM - 220 nVidia- 1TB RAID 1 (2x1TB) - 23" Monitor

#2 - i7 - 860 - 8GB RAM - 220 nVidia- 1TB RAID 1 (2x1TB) - 20" Monitor

#3 - i7 - 860 - 8GB RAM - 220 nVidia- 1TB  - 23" Monitor

All 3 also have - Dell 1505 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna

EDD-Original 12/29/2009

In Production 12/9/09 - ........?

EDD-1st Delay on 12/23/2009 changed to 1/6/2010

EDD-2nd Delay on 1/1/2010 changed to 1/13/2010

on 2nd delay email, it actually said...

"Your order has been delayed again and we need your permission today to continue processing your order or it will be automatically canceled
(as required by the Federal Trade Commission)."  anyone else have that?

It said I had to respond within 24 hrs of email or the order would be automatically cancelled.

It was sent at 2am and I was out all day.  Luckily we saw the email around 9pm so we could continue order (especially since I now find out XPS8000 is no longer available!)

I have been loyal Dell user 5+ yrs (never really had to call customer service before this order...so who knows when that went downhill)

You would think since I spent around $8000 with them in one day they would try to keep me happy?  Give me some info? 

No...instead I get no response to emails (when autoresponse says they will get back within 24hrs)  I get same info from call center that I could get online.

and during last call had the non-english speaking rep yell at me! (in case you were wondering all I did to provoke his yelling was ask Why the delay?, When it might finally be delivered? and why they can't be more up front about the delays from day 1?  I was very polite to him and never raised my voice to him)

Then he muted the phone whenever I tried to explain to him that I was the customer.  After I told him I knew he was muting the phone, he came back and said ever so politely "I'm sorry mam, how may I help you?" 

Why am I still waiting?  only because I have heard people have more hardware failures when 1st getting HP.  I can't afford the down time with a small business

I'm starting to think I may have a better product (and faster) if I bought HP had failures and got it repaired.

152 Posts

I just checked the outlet and there is none to buy from outlet. I guess this thread has pushed lots of people to empty  out the outlet. Dell where is my percentage. + I could speak english better than your CSR.

108 Posts

Congratulations. I wish I had been smart enough to check out the Outlet before I ordered.

108 Posts

I don't think the i5 or the 800 series i7s will disappear. Intel is still producing and you can still buy just the processors and motherboards if you want to build your own.  And, HP, Asus and Gateway are still selling and shipping computers with those chips.  Just like the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad are still out there in mainstream computers, the i5 and i7 will not go away.  However, because of the demand, the price of these things have gone through the roof and Dell can't continue to afford to sell an $800 computer with these chips.

152 Posts

January 5th, 2010 10:00

TinFL,

Thanks for details. It will help lots of people with their estimates. I won't ever consider going to HP or anything esle ever unless it becomes a must like oxygen for me. This is what happens once in a while with Dell and I am sure they are trying to deliver what they have promised. But their Customer Service Rep. are total usless and I would rather listen to automated message system instead of talking to someone really rude and unprofessional with no language skills.

So all I can say is to hold your breath and your systems will be on your side pretty soon, no matter how they sell their system they always make money on them so they are not trying to cancel your order but get tired of all the complaints from BBB and FTC and they rather drop the ball.

I have been waiting for so long and I am running my business on a laptop connected to my 24" till get my system. But I hope nothing esle happens to us.

Good Luck

Still in production

108 Posts

January 5th, 2010 11:00

@nimche and TinFL

I have done business with both Dell and HP (as a fallback when Dell doesn't have what I need) for years. I have had good service and bad service from both.  I have never found telephone Customer Service to be of much use for either of these companies, or any of the phone companies that also use the off-shore call centers for customer service calls. I rely on what I can find on the web site because the call center people don't have any additional information. The only time you get someone with real technical knowledge is when you can get switched over to a tech rep, but you can actually get to them faster with email or chat than by phone.

I am waiting (impatiently at times) for my XPS 8000, also still in production.

152 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

adidasansen7,

You seem to be one of the oldest here, Your unit looks alot like mine with only the GC difference. It is crazy that you still have no gotten yours. It may means that I will get 13 days after you get yours.............................

190 Posts

Hi all, I found this interesting artical while looking around the net. May be part of the delays.

LONDON - Memory chips for computers are likely to be in short supply by the second half of next year as consumers demand more capacity and companies embark on a delayed drive to replace PCs, industry tracker DRAMeXchange believes.

Prices for DRAM chips, the most common type of computer memory, have stabilized over the past two months after rising for most of the year as recession-struck chipmakers slashed capacity and capital spending, causing shortages.

DRAMeXchange forecast on Thursday that shipments of PCs would rise 13 percent next year, driven by notebooks, with 22.5 percent growth to 160 million units, and pared-down netbooks, set to rise 22 percent to 35 million units.

"DRAM will likely face a serious shortage in 2H10 triggered by the hot PC sales," DRAMeXchange said. "The DRAM price decline will likely be eased in 2Q10. That is, DRAM vendors will have a great opportunity to remain in profit for the whole year." Top U.S. memory chipmaker Micron on Tuesday delivered its first quarterly profit in nearly three years as rising prices lifted sales beyond expectations.

DRAMeXchange forecast that 2010 capital expenditure by DRAM vendors would rise 80 percent from this year's record low to $7.85 billion, rising to $10 billion to $12 billion by 2011 or 2012.

Industry leader Samsung would spend $2.6 billion, it predicted. Fellow Korean chipmaker Hynix said on Thursday it planned 2.3 trillion won ($2.2 billion) in capital expenditure next year.

152 Posts

who has the oldest date of order for XPS 8000 on this thread whom has not received his/her unit yet?

My order number is: 981859***

Now, I have to wait another weekk to get my order, what a wasted time. 

IN PRODUCTION....

1 Message

I ordered my XPS 8000 on 11/27.

First EDD: 12/16
Second EDD: 1/5
Third EDD: 1/11

Still showing as in production.  Really, really frustrating.

My order:

1 317-2644 Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
1 317-1683 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-4x2GB
1 330-1258 Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboardand Mouse
1 320-8297 Dell 23 inch ST2310 WidescreenFlat Panel
1 320-1160 nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3
1 341-0234 1TB Serial ATA II Hard Drive 7200 RPM
1 421-1603 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
1 313-8760 16X DVD+/-RW
1 313-7186 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 313-8736 MOD,SPKR,1.2W,NMB,AX210CR,WW
1 430-0726 Dell Network Card 1525

152 Posts

January 5th, 2010 18:00

They have changed automated message on the phone. They had some nice deal in outlet today but I will wait for mine to arrive. I always hope for a better customer support on the phone.

5 minutes wait......

No Events found!