FinnByrd
1 Copper

Re: XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

I just cancelled my XPS 8000 order, after Dell delayed it for a fifth time.  

Dell has put me through an absolutely miserable experience as I tried to buy an XPS 8000, i7-860, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, 1024MB nVidia GT 220.  I ordered this system on 11/29/09, and Dell has given me the following Estimated Delivery Dates:  12/16; 01/05; 01/06; 01/13; 01/20. 

After waiting over a month and a half, with 4 missed delivery dates, and no explanation or apology from Dell, I have given up on that company, now and forever. 

0 Kudos
TDB53
2 Iron

Not sure I understand the hysteria about delivery delays for XPS9000.  I ordered on 1/3/2010 and original EDD way 1/25/2010.  System shipped and will be here Friday.  Kudos to Dell.

It does seem that all of the reported delivery delays are on the XPS 8000. I guess it is no coincidence that there are no XPS 9000s available from the Dell Outlet. There are a number of XPS 435s, which I understand was the predecessor model to the 9000.  Can anyone tell me the difference?  There are some well equipped XPS 435s available for about the same price and configuration (except, of course it has an i7-920 processor) of the 8000 I paid for that may never come. I was considering buying an 8100, but, as an option I can get the equivalent of a 9000 for the same price.

0 Kudos
kavatar
1 Copper

That's interesting to know.  My last delay was about 4 weeks before I decided to switch over to the 8100.  The rep worked hard to give me the same configuration as the xps 8000 that was on delay.  The changes - H57 chipset, 1333 Mhz, and THX sound Trustudio all sound like improvements.  So if you get another delay you may want to use that as an opportunity to get the xps 8100.

0 Kudos
atuarre
1 Nickel

Err. Really depends on if he ordered a stock XPS9000 without customizing it i think...not sure though. As I posted earlier before my thread was deleted, I ordered an XPS 9000 that I customized, the major differences being that i opted for the ATI card and added a second HD, 12GB memory, the Titanium sound card, and the blueray and dvd writer drives. Hopefully my system is delivered just as quickly as BTDFXD's was.

I can wait a few weeks. I am willing to wait a month, but asking someone to wait longer than that, well...I think that is rather ridiculous, regardless of shortages in supply. I will keep an open mind and hopefully the next week it will ship.

0 Kudos

atuarre,

Your post was deleted by design of the filter. When you listed the description of the PC, this line was tagged, "991-4972 Your Tech Team Unlimited (Point Of Sale) SKU - 2 YR valid contract". The normal shorthand would not spell it out as I did. Do you see what the bolded letters would be percieved as?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DR2ooo
1 Nickel

I must be dreaming. Now there is a big sale on XPS 8000 on Dell's main page. They can't ship ours, yet they have a big sale event going for the same machines. Either way, the deal that I got in December was much better than the current one. And at that I called yesterday to cancel my order, even though it's still showing up as in production today.

I found an even better deal on outlet, that will let me replace the ram with faster chips, get a new HD and still come out cheaper. So now I just have to get them to actually cancel my first order, not just say that they will.

0 Kudos
TinFL
1 Nickel

I must be dreaming. Now there is a big sale on XPS 8000 on Dell's main page. They can't ship ours, yet they have a big sale event going for the same machines.

No you're not dreaming.  I saw it too.  Still more expensive than my price.  Funny thing is I chatted with sales rep and she told me they don't sell the XPS 8000 anymore.  I told her I have one in my cart right now.   This company is pretty screwed up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nimche
2 Iron

This company is pretty screwed up.

Sure it is otherwise we had our PC after waiting for two months. I can not even imagine that it has been almost two months.

What a waste.

Deal with Dell, No Deal No Dell, Dell with Deal, No Dell better life

XPS 8000 Owner!

0 Kudos
TDB53
2 Iron

I know different people got different deals while the 8000 was available in November and December, but the one showing up in the signature event is a better deal than I got at the end of December.  The one showing today includes a monitor (only standard 20", but it is a monitor) and wireless card, those were both upgrades at the time I ordered.  Also, this includes 6GB of RAM, I stuck with the 4GB when I ordered because I could get memory on my own to upgrade it cheaper.   So, mine, with i7-860, 4 GB RAM, wireless and no monitor was $936. This one with i7-860, 6GB RAM, wireless and monitor is $988. 

I ordered on 12/30 and am still waiting for an EDD of 1/25 (no delays yet).  The one offered today shows a ship date of 2/2 which would translate into an EDD of 2/9 (they appear to add 7 days for delivery on their EDD).

I now need to purchase another computer for my business, so I think I will order one of these today just to see what happens. If it works it is a lot cheaper than the price of an 8100 with similar configuration. And, since I have been operating for years with computers with Celeron processors and 1 GB of RAM, even the 8000 is a big upgrade!

0 Kudos
z06psi
2 Iron

WoW..... they even have items not originally offered on my system when I bought it last month.  Raid 0 and 1 configurations........  Dell what are you doing??????????????????????????

XPS8000, Intel DP55BS MB, i7 860@3.6Ghz w Zallman 9700 cooler, 1TBx2 RAID, Intel X25MG2 SSD, ASUS EAH HD5870, 8GB 1600 Corsair XMS Dominator, 3008WFP, Ultra Gold 550 Win7 x64

0 Kudos