Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

109 Posts

January 19th, 2010 02:00

The PSU is underpowered and the computer shut down and restarted so many times, cold starts that eventually the RAID 1 was totally corrupt and the MOBO shot. They replaced the PSU and MOBO three times but too much damage had been done to the two hard drives. I have been fight with Dell tto upgrade the PSU, the PSU ATI recommends JUST for the video card is 500 watts, Dell puts in 475 for the whole thing! As soon as I finally get it I will upgrade the PSU and send Dell the bill. Naturally Dell has to muck up everything and their PSU is not a standard size, finding one that will fit there is hard and expensive. No standard ATX PSU will fit.

49 Posts

January 19th, 2010 07:00

Good morning! Any new deliveries or shipping notifications?

13 Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

Well, my order has been canceled and yesterday my outlet computer has been delivered. The actual build date of the computer was Dec 21, 2009, so I'm guessing somebody just canceled their order and I got one hell of a deal on it.

I've ran it through a couple of tests, made bios adjustments, fresh reinstall and it's producing extremely good bench marking results. So far, so good. I don't want to jinx it, but at this point I'm very happy, finally. Feels like I physically worked to actually get it. :)

32 Posts

January 19th, 2010 10:00

Order date: Dec 26, 2009

Estimated shipping date: Jan 22, 2010

Received an e-mail this morning, saying the order will be delayed, with no specific date. It also says if the PC has not been shipped within 5 working days, I would be provided an update. Right now, the order is still  "In Production."

I've come across a few posts they said their orders were cancelled without notification, I'm just wondering, in that case, is the refund automatic? Or do I have to call in to get the refund?

8 Posts

January 19th, 2010 11:00

Just got notified of my 4th delay.  Woohoo.  Called up customer service and the rep told me that the reason the XPS 8000s are so delayed is the popularity of the deals last year.  Then he read from his script saying something like, "I can assure you we are working very hard to get you this system."   What a joke.  There is something seriously wrong, because I haven't seen anyone post about receiving an XPS 8000 at all this year.  Shouldn't the people who ordered in October and November be getting theirs by now?

Ordered XPS 8000 on 12/09/2009

EDD - Original - 01/04/2010

EDD - 1st Update - 12/28/2009 (They changed the shipping method to Next Business Day.  After that I assumed there would be a delay coming soon...)

EDD - 1st Delay - 01/08/2010

EDD - 2nd Delay - 01/12/2010   (Along with the email and phone call, "Order Delayed.  Your Action is Required")

EDD - 3rd Delay - 01/19/2010   (Along with the email and phone call, "Order Delayed.  Your Action is Required")

EDD - 4th Delay - 01/26/2010   (Along with the email and phone call, "Order Delayed.  Your Action is Required")

49 Posts

Received an e-mail this morning, saying the order will be delayed, with no specific date. It also says if the PC has not been shipped within 5 working days, I would be provided an update. Right now, the order is still  "In Production."

I've come across a few posts they said their orders were cancelled without notification, I'm just wondering, in that case, is the refund automatic? Or do I have to call in to get the refund?

I am guessing if your order is canceled that the method you used to fund the purchase should be credited the amount but as a responsible consumer, one should always make sure when making purchases from any merchant, that if an order is canceled that the money is credited back/refunded. Bear in mind that it may not be refunded as quickly as it was deducted, but eventually it should go back. I placed an order for two items and one shipped and they only charged me for the item that shipped. I assume it is standard practice for them to charge you for items as they ship but you might have to confirm with their customer care department.

108 Posts

Under FTC regulations, after the 2nd delay they are required to cancel the order unless you specifically agree to continue waiting.  If you got an email this time you will probably get one next time, if there is a next time.  However, if this is just your first delay, there will not be a cancellation unless you contact them and ask them to cancel. I think those who said they were cancelled without notification failed to check the box on their order asking for email notification. I know they ask for your email when you order, and that should automatically go into their system, but, it doesn't. So, like I said, if you got email notification this time, you probably will next time. Hopefully that will be a shipping notification.

I have never seen them charge a card before they ship, but, as the other post suggested, don't take anything for granted, check with your card issuer.

108 Posts

Just got notified of my 4th delay.  Woohoo.  Called up customer service and the rep told me that the reason the XPS 8000s are so delayed is the popularity of the deals last year.  Then he read from his script saying something like, "I can assure you we are working very hard to get you this system."   What a joke.  There is something seriously wrong, because I haven't seen anyone post about receiving an XPS 8000 at all this year.  Shouldn't the people who ordered in October and November be getting theirs by now?

How irresponsible!  Why can't they give them a better script. Based on things I have read on business sites, there are a number of possible reasons for the delays, from Intel not producing many of these chips because they were getting ready to release the upgraded version at the beginning of January, to one of the licensed motherboard manufacturers deciding not to produce the motherboards for these chips when the new chips, needing different motherboards, were due out in January, to Dell closing manufacturing plants in the U.S. in December and laying off over 5,000 people, therefore subcontracting with Mexican companies to manufacture the PCs at a time when they were offering killer deals on the computers. They are working hard at trying to reduce costs so they look good for the shareholders.

I have been a Dell customer for years, even putting up with these delays instead of going to HP because I always felt they offered a better product. However, now that the machines are being made elsewhere there seems to be a lot of quality control issues with those computers that are shipping. I don't know that I would be so patient. I am giving them one more delay, then I am gone.

108 Posts

January 19th, 2010 15:00

I am starting to get impatient. It's setting in and I am doing everything possible to try to put other things on my mind!

I have less than one week to my first EDD, which, based on all I have heard in this thread, should be delayed and I can't wait.  I already have the email requesting cancellation sitting in my outbox waiting to be sent.  Because I need a second computer, I already purchased another computer from the outlet last week, and, according to the Fedex tracking, it should be here tomorrow. If my original order is delayed and cancelled; and, I have a good experience with the one from the outlet, I will buy another from the outlet or Bestbuy.com or somewhere I know I will get a computer.

49 Posts

January 19th, 2010 15:00

I am starting to get impatient. It's setting in and I am doing everything possible to try to put other things on my mind!

49 Posts

January 19th, 2010 16:00

[quote user="atuarre"]

I have less than one week to my first EDD, which, based on all I have heard in this thread, should be delayed and I can't wait.  I already have the email requesting cancellation sitting in my outbox waiting to be sent.  Because I need a second computer, I already purchased another computer from the outlet last week, and, according to the Fedex tracking, it should be here tomorrow. If my original order is delayed and cancelled; and, I have a good experience with the one from the outlet, I will buy another from the outlet or Bestbuy.com or somewhere I know I will get a computer.

[/quote]

What was it again, an 8000 or 8100? I just hope mine comes quick. I have heard where people have received them exactly 14 days from the order day and some a week or two before the EDD. I was browsing around other sites and I might have to check out the outlet but Dell offers the most customization. HP doesn't have the graphics card I want, and HP has those tiny cases but they quote build dates of two days. I'll give them a chance, and if they do well, I may purchase from them again.

I am a little hesitant to purchase from the outlet unless it is a system that someone ordered and never received (a cancelled order). I don't want a refurbished system, which I am sure is similar to a refurbished cell phone.

108 Posts

January 19th, 2010 16:00

What was it again, an 8000 or 8100? I just hope mine comes quick. I have heard where people have received them exactly 14 days from the order day and some a week or two before the EDD. I was browsing around other sites and I might have to check out the outlet but Dell offers the most customization. HP doesn't have the graphics card I want, and HP has those tiny cases but they quote build dates of two days. I'll give them a chance, and if they do well, I may purchase from them again.

I am a little hesitant to purchase from the outlet unless it is a system that someone ordered and never received (a cancelled order). I don't want a refurbished system, which I am sure is similar to a refurbished cell phone.

My original order was for an 8000, ordered 12/30 with an EDD of 1/25.   As for refurbished, I have had refurbished machines before with a lot of success.  Many of the ones marked as refurbished are returns from retail stores when Dell discontinued the model.  Even those returned with problems, the problems have been fixed and the systems gone over by technicians, more than you can say for the new systems coming out of a factory in Mexico. You get a full warranty on the refurbs. 

1 Message

January 19th, 2010 17:00

Well, I ordered my XPS 8000 system on 12/10/09. Its now 1/19/10, and the Customer Service rep just told me that my delivery date has been pushed back another week to 2/1/10. Seven weeks. Last week the representative I talked to said that they didn't forsee another delay. Do I trust Customer Service or anything they say? Awful hard to now. The people in India obviously don't have a clue as to why I can't get a computer from Dell.

Come on, Dell. My employer has bought thousands of your systems and now when I finally decide to buy a Dell instead of building my own all I get is stonewalling. I'm beginning to think that you really don't want to fill my order, you just wish I'd go away. What happened, you didn't pay your supplier's bills fast enough last year and now they are holding back on you?

The worst thing is I read the Forum messages and others are getting their systems much faster than I am. What's the problem?

7 weeks and counting. One more week and I think I'll just cancel and build my own again.

32 Posts

January 19th, 2010 19:00

Thx for replying, atuarre and TDB53. You guys have been more helpful than Dell Customer Service XD

I called Customer Service today (not to cancel the order, I haven't made up my mind yet), the weird thing was, I chose "Customer Service" under the menu options, but someone from technical support picked up the phone, then I had to be transferred 3 times in order to speak to the "right person." And all the lady could tell me was, "Would you like to order a different computer, like the XPS 9000?"

I guess they really are reading from a script, because that's about the only answer they are giving us now.

I'm still trying to find something in retail that's almost equivalent to the configuration I had for the XPS 8000. This is such a pain, because really, we don't have that many options in Canada (computers that come with i7), even at Best Buy.

I think I'm in Dell Hell already. Ha ha ha...

32 Posts

January 19th, 2010 20:00

Congrats, TinFL, glad you finally got something :emotion-5:

But getting the other 2 orders that you wanted to cancel, that's a nightmare.

Now I don't know if I should order a different product from Dell, since I don't want to end up in your situation, sigh...

No Events found!