gipper11
1 Nickel

XPS 9100 another hard drive question ;-)

Jump to solution

Here are how the SATA Plugs are used when it got to me - I am adding two more hard drives so I want to know does it matter what Sata Plugs are used for each one?

Delivered with: DVD - 0

System Hard Drive - 2

Open: 1, 3 and 4

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jackshack
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 9100 another hard drive question ;-)

Jump to solution

Before we can answer that we need to know how you're counting them.  The block next to the stand-alone port (the fifth one) has the 3rd and 4th ports.  The block above that has the 1st and 2nd ports.  A configuration of a single hard drive normally has the hard drive in the 1st port and the CD/DVD drive in the second port.  That would leave the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ports open.  Two additional hard drives would normally use the 3rd and 4th ports.  Does that make sense?

Dell Forum member since 2005

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

gipper11

You should be able to use any open SATA connector on the motherboard.

After installing the hard drives, enter the system setup, to check that the drives are enabled [on] and recognized.   For window to recognized the drives, they need to be partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Windows 7 Disk Management.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

5 Replies
jackshack
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Before we can answer that we need to know how you're counting them.  The block next to the stand-alone port (the fifth one) has the 3rd and 4th ports.  The block above that has the 1st and 2nd ports.  A configuration of a single hard drive normally has the hard drive in the 1st port and the CD/DVD drive in the second port.  That would leave the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ports open.  Two additional hard drives would normally use the 3rd and 4th ports.  Does that make sense?

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

gipper11

You should be able to use any open SATA connector on the motherboard.

After installing the hard drives, enter the system setup, to check that the drives are enabled [on] and recognized.   For window to recognized the drives, they need to be partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Windows 7 Disk Management.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

gipper11
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes it makes perfect sense - thanks!

0 Kudos
jackshack
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

You are very welcome.  Also, Bev's statement that you can use any open port is also true, but if you are planning a RAID (why else have two drives of the same type?) it works out better in the 3rd and 4th ports.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

gipper11

emoticon.Yes.title

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos