Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 17th, 2017 16:00

XPS Back panel removal

I purchased a used Dell, and this moment I think Dell Support *** big time and this computer is JUNK  The Optical drives do not work and I want to replace them, but for fours I tried to get the back panel off and it would not budge.  I think it is screwed on and I think there is screw behind the very Optical drives I want to replace.  What kind of complete moron would design a case like this.  Evey other computer I have ever seen has 2 or 3 screws at the back you remove and the sides come off, but not Dell, they build something near impossible to work on.

This is the side I am talking about

This is the XPS

And I resort to doing this get my dual screens working and other my Audio card working and install Linux to run along 

Like I said, It is impossible to change out the Optical Drives when you cannot get the side of a *** Dell Computer

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 18th, 2017 04:00

Most often, the side of the case opposite the access panel is riveted on, and not designed to be removed.  The optical drives usually come out through the front of the case, after removing the front panel or the shroud around the drives.  You can find the details in the service manual - which you can access at support.dell.com.  If you can't find it, post the exact model of XPS and someone can post a link.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 18th, 2017 07:00

You have to remove the XPS 630 front Bezel and the cables from the back of the drives. Then Slide them out.  Then attache the shoulder screws to the new drive and slide back in. Then put the front bezel back on.

The Slider with the spring on the side is black.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-630-xp_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 07:00

Well ejn63 I would do that but to get the drives out you need to at the screws on that side of the computer, to remove the screw that holds those drives in.  Also the front of the case is held on by clips, and you  need that other side off to get those clips off the little stubs of plastic the hold them in place.  This case is just bad design in every aspect

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 15:00

Well I agree with the last post, but like what I have said above, there is no way to remove the rear panel (that being the panel behind the motherboard)  to release those red tabs the arrows point to in the picture in the above post

https://youtu.be/R9-Ejzf4Om0

11 Posts

January 18th, 2017 21:00

That would be OK, except no where in that PDF does tell you how to get the Panel behind the Motherboard off.  You cannot remove the front of the case if you cannot get both sides open.  I removed all clips on the one side and could only open it about an inch with breaking something!  I cannot get the opposite  side of the case open, no scews, no prying, 4 hours trying and got no where.

Will someone please tell me how to remove that *** panel!

I made a video and posted it to Youtube, here it is

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 08:00

The Face Bezel comes out via the release lever on the side held up by a spring.  The shoulder screws on the floppy or flex bay or any optical drives are guides they slide in they are not HELD in the case via screwing thru a hole.

The entire front panel is not removed to change the optical drives.

The screws are shoulder screws and there are 3 one you can see and 2 you cant.

What is this fascination with removing the rear panel?  This never comes off.

This is similar only the faceplate is different.

You Open the Cover.

Remove Faceplate.  Pressing the blue thing (ITS BLACK on your XPS) down its the same for removing the drive but the faceplate comes off first.

Press the blue thing Down again and slide the drive out after removing cables.

No Events found!