Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2006 17:00

XPS Gen 3 Lock up, Freeze

I have been working for about two weeks to trouble shoot one of my Gen 3s, (See Speciation) After about 6 months of perfect operation the computer started to experience Lock ups/Freezes during what I first determined as being caused by the Norton AV scans.

I first testing hardware, CPU, Memory, HDD

Going to Symantec I found the Version of AV was not supported any more (typical) So even though I have subscription paid for another 8 months I was prompted to uninstall the software and installed my back up AV software (also a product of Symantec).

Using diagnostic packages Prime95 and Memtest32 I ran stress testing and physical memory tests to find no faults. I did notice that during the 48 hour stress testing the system did not Lock up/Freeze when the AV ran. After the testing, I returned to normal operation of the system and the system returned to Locking up/Freezing during the AV scanning.

The system is still covered under service and support, but I try to resolve the issues without their help.

Anyone have any ideas?

My next step is to image my HDD and restore the system to delivery condition to verify if it is software or hardware related.

James

System information:

PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), TRANSFORMERSKYDIVEMINITOWER, EXTREME EDITION, XPS-G3

PROCESSOR, 80532, 3.4G, 2M, PENTIUM 4 NORTHWOOD, SOCKET T

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4G, 533M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8

GRAPHICS, 256, X800, ATI GRAPHICS CARD

WXPPSP2

13 Posts

October 10th, 2006 12:00

Here is an update:

I have been running Prime95 (stress test) system seems to run without issue as long as the stress test is running.

Makes me really wonder about what is going on in that CPU.

Looks like it may be a complete system factory restore....

I'll give the Tech Desk a chance but I am not putting any stock in it...

James
No Events found!