Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-31-2008 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS Gen 5 help

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my RAM within the next week or so and saw that the prices seem very good.  I currently have a pentium D processor at 3.0 GHz, and 1 gig of RAM.  I am going to purchase two sticks of 1 gig each for my xps Gen 5.  I currently have 2 sticks at 512 MB installed.  Can I just put the two 1 gig sticks in with the two 512 for a total of 3 gig of RAM?  Or do I have to take the 2 512 MB sticks out before installing the 2 1 gig sticks?

I'm having trouble playing a particular game that I just purchased.  The minimum requirement of RAM for this particular game is 1 gig, and I've been advised that a graphics problem that I'm having is due to my RAM.  I hear the sound just fine, but there is no picture.  My graphics card is a Radeon X850 platinum edition 256MB card which is better than the minimum required.  Is there anything else I should consider looking into to help the performance of my computer?  For reference, the game is Age of Conan (and before anyone suggests it - I have written their tech support twice in two days and have yet to receive any response).

Thanks! 

Replies (5)
4 Beryllium

First question, yes.  Check to see what dimms you have in there now (pc2-4200 or pc2-5300).  I would get 2x1gb ddr2 pc2-5300 dimms as they are often on sale cheap.  Don't waste money on high priced low latency uber speed dimms, just get cheapest brand name with lifetime warranty.  You can leave the old ones in if they are pc2-5300; if they are pc2-4200 take them out and just use the new 2x1gb pc2-5300.  Just my opinion.

Upgrade your ram first then see how the game plays.  You only had 1gb ram and that is just not enough. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Excellent!  Thank you very much!

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the 4200 and the 5300?

4 Beryllium

I would just open the case and remove a dimm, speed is printed on the label.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Ok, thank you very much!

I went out and bought 2 sticks of 1 gig RAM pc2-5300 during my lunch today and am looking forward to getting home and plugging it in!

4 Tellurium

For anyone that doesn't want to open the case to check the RAM or CPU I recommend.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system. 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor