Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2005 13:00

XPS Gen4 Restarts Automatically

Hi.

I've been having a problem.  I just purchased a brand new 3.6 Ghz Dim. XPS Gen 4
with 2 GB Ram, 256 vid card, dual layer dvd, cdwr blahblah.
Every morning when I get into work my computer has restarted.  I have experienced no
problems during the day while at work.  At first I thought it was my UPS...but I never had
a problem with it on my previous Dell.  Also, the power load on my Energizer UPS only
says about 33%. 

I made sure my power settings say to never power off and hibernate is off as well.
HELP ME!

25 Posts

Nope, this is not the problem.  I am still using the same outlet where everything was
working fine.

58 Posts

I had the same problem, but it was my own fault. I had the power cord pluged into the switched plug and when I turned off the light the computer turned off. Had me going for awhile.

25 Posts

March 18th, 2005 15:00

Interesting point.  It has happened 4 nights in a row though
so I'm not sure if this is it.  I'm changing to see if it is the
problem though.

43 Posts

March 18th, 2005 15:00

Im not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but check to see if you have windows updates on and set to do automatic updatating.  The default setting for these is to do the updates at 3:00am, and they can generate an automatic reboot without any user prompt.

25 Posts

March 18th, 2005 18:00

The checkbox you speak of is already unchecked.
Is there any way to check a log file to see why a computer restarted?
Where would it be located?

8 Posts

you can try takeing a look at the event viewer,

if you use the new view in windows xp category view control panel use the following method to get to it

To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

if you use the classic view, just click Start, then open up Control Panel, click on Administrative tools, and then on Event Viewer.

Basically event viewer maintains logs about program, security, and system events on your computer, an u can use event viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows security events

8 Posts

not sure if this will help but

windows xp will sometimes be set to automatically restart upon a system failure (STOP errors mostly)

a way u can check this is to right click on my computer an go into properties (so the system properties window)

click on the advanced tab, an under startup and recovery click the settings button, on this page you'll notice under System Failure a option that says automatically restart with a checkbox next to it, try unchecking it (that is if its checked) applying and restarting the computer and let the computer sit overnight or whatnot again, in the morning when you get to your computer see if its at a blue screen or not with a stop error.

if you get to your computer in the morning and its not at a blue screen then its not this kind of error, but if its a blue screen then u gotta troubleshoot the STOP error

25 Posts

March 18th, 2005 19:00

Thanks.  I can see nothing that is telling about why the computer
restarted.  Hmmm.  I'm very tempted to install a web cam.

8 Posts

March 18th, 2005 21:00

forgot u could also check your BIOS or system setup utility, sometimes the bios's have an option to automatically power the system on

to get to the bios tap F12 on the system as its powering up in the system setup look thru the list and check to see if that option is enabled or not

1.4K Posts

March 19th, 2005 02:00

Here's how I kept an eye on the night shift cleanup crew:  I put in a cheapo USB cam, downloaded a shareware utility like supervisioncam.com has, and set it to trigger at about 30% movement threshold.  It comes on automatically at quitting time, turns off next morning, and is set to email a series of shots to my home account.

Actually, one day I received shots of firefighters opening the door to my office, so I went in to work.  They had left after what was a false alarm, leaving the door to the server room wide open.  But best of all, the janitors stay clear of my office because they hate that camera.

25 Posts

March 19th, 2005 13:00

I just checked my office computer remotely and apparently it has not restarted!
What I did before I left Friday was unplug the computer from the UPS and plugged
it directly into the wall.  The monitor and other peripherals I left on the UPS.

The UPS noted a power outage at 7pmish last night but it came back up a couple
minutes later (battery took care of it).  I think there is an electrical/power problem with
my office.  I'll have to talk to the building staff.

Thanks for everyone's input.

--Josh--
No Events found!