Highlighted
Ebraysocus
1 Copper

XPS Gen4 quit, either psu or mobo.

I started having issues with a xps gen 4 Iv had for years, upgraded the vid card to a geforce 7800 2 years ago. One day it locked up, after a reboot it worked alright for a few hours then locked up again. After second lock up I turn it on and the light is amber and the fans are on high. I shut it off, and turn it back on after unplugging it for a while, started up fine, after a few hours it crashes again, then starts up fine. The next day I start it up and it goes back to amber lights with fans on high. It did this for 2 weeks where I would just shut it off and unplug it for a bit then start it up fine. One night I had a power surge that popped the breakers and it quit till about mid day the next day, ran for about an hour then shut down again. Hasn't started up since, I removed all hardware and troubleshot the psu by hooking up the core hardware required for basic startup, still nothing. Replaced the battery, still nothing. Removed everything and examined the mobo thinking there may have been a short, nothing of the sort, evidence wise. Id check the psu but its in its own compartment and for the life of me havent been able to figure out how to open it without breaking the case structure. So here I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. Id hate to have to replace the mobo, if I do that Im just going to make a new computer from scratch. If anyone knows how to take the psu compartment apart that would also be handy. Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Davet50
5 Iridium

Re: XPS Gen4 quit, either psu or mobo.

You should not try taking apart the power supply as most are not repairable.

Have you checked your rear panel Diagnostics lights? Your symptoms do give cause to a heat issue.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Ebraysocus
1 Copper

sadly this computer doesnt have an led panel of diagnostic lights, and after taking the power supply apart I found a few scorch marks so Im sure its shot, lol. And indeed it is not repairable.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

sadly this computer doesnt have an led panel of diagnostic lights, and after taking the power supply apart I found a few scorch marks so Im sure its shot, lol. And indeed it is not repairable.

Ebraysocus

The XPS G4 has four diagnostic lights located on the back panel, see HERE

Note: The Dell XPS G4 has a Dell proprietary power supply and there is no third party retail equivalent.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos