Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2015 09:00

XPS One 27 (2710) limited to 1080p as an external monitor

Hello!

I'm trying to use my XPS One 2710 which has a resolution of 2560x1080 as an external monitor with a laptop, however I'm being limited to 1080p and I'm not able to select any higher.

With another different monitor, the same HDMI cable and the same Laptop I'm able to view at 2560x1080. Is there something I'm overlooking?

- Pez

3 Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

Hi Kirkd,

No what I mean is the all in one computer is capable of 2560x1440, but when I plugin a laptop into it, to use it as a monitor rather than a computer the maximum I can select is 1920x1080.

Does that make more sense?

- Pez

5.2K Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

You mean your limited to 1080x1080? What is the native resolution of the monitor than is a problem. Many monitors are limited to 1080 vertical, and you can't get more.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2015 11:00

Dell only supports 1920x1080 on the XPS One 2710 HDMI in port. But, you may be able to go into the laptops graphic card control panel and configure a "customized" higher resolution for its HDMI out. We cannot assist in this. Ask the guys on the Laptop Video board.

5.2K Posts

March 9th, 2015 12:00

Usually, the monitor tells the computer what resolution it will handle (native resolution). Apparently Dell has limited the native resolution to 1920x1080 for HDMI input. Why is this? Need to ask Dell. Possibly because Most HDMI cables are limited to a 1920x1080 bandwidth, and Dell didn't want users to see problems if they tried for higher resolutions.

I don't know if a video board can be programmed to a custom, higher resolution for an external monitor.

This resolution issue has been around for a long  time. It was always difficult to set aa as the laptop screen. external monitor to the same resolution

3 Posts

March 9th, 2015 16:00

That's a massive shame, both my HMDI cable and the screen support a higher resolution but they've decided to limit it!

I'm sure I can work something out with overriding what options the computer provides.

Thanks for the information.

47 Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

Yes,  It is a massive shame.  I bought a refurb 2710 to use as my daily machine and planned on building a mini gaming rig using the HDMI input.  The gaming rig would have the bare minimals (gpu, ssd, maxed ram) and not be powered on much.  I went this route because good monitors at the XPS's resolution were only a few hundred dollars cheaper than what I paid for the entire machine.  It was already too late to return it after I found this out.  I love the system so I ended up keeping it.   They haven't refreshed the XPS with a legitimate gpu in a while as well.  It's the 'best' value PC I've ever made when comparing it to an iMac.   

47 Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

I was also thinking this could be a potential solution.  The motherboard that is in the 2710 has the ability to provide the resolution that we're looking for.  So what type of cable is connecting the motherboard to the LCD display? My guess is it has to be a display port connector?  If that's the case we may be able to use a splitter or connect that cable directly to the Display Port connector on our other systems.  It would be nice to know because in 3 to 5 years when the system is deemed too old we may be able to make use of the display using it's native resolution.  

September 28th, 2015 14:00

Suggestion: dont use the XPS as a monitor but as a PC. Connect to the notebook with the remote desktop using an Ethernet cable. Windows 10 has a better support for the remote desktop and is able also to reproduce videos with no loss in quality.

This solution has another advantage: you can use, as I do, a notebook that is not capable natively to reach 2560x1440 and enjoy the full size desktop!

No Events found!