Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2016 08:00

XPS One 2710 - Black screen on boot. No BIOS.

I encountered an issue when using Windows (During a large file copy, icons disappeared from my desktop and I unable to start programs) and had to reboot my PC. Following this, Windows failed to reboot showing a WDF_Violation blue screen, a further boot resulted in a Cache rebuild screen followed by an Intel driver error. After repeating this cycle a couple of teams, I hard rebooted the PC.

Now, the computer boots to a black screen. I can see the backlight come on for a few seconds however there is no BIOS splash screen neither is there the usual beep when the pre-boot checks complete.

I have tried booting with a Windows 10 CD and from USB without success. I have also tried pressing the full range of function keys.

It is running Windows 10 and has been without issue for around 6 months until now. 

My data is backed up so I don't mind a format and rebuild solution but need to be able to get to the BIOS and to boot from DVD/USB.

Any help gratefully received.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 1st, 2016 11:00

Dell didn't test compatibility of the XPS 2710 with Win 10. If you search these forums, you'll find lots of users reporting the same "black screen of death" after running Win 10 on this model for a few days, weeks or even months.

Not totally clear what goes wrong, but many users had to replace the motherboard, if they could find one.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 03:00

Thanks Ron - following your suggestion, I searched the forums for "black screen of death" and managed to get the PC working again.

I tried resetting BIOS and rebooting while simultaneously rapidly tapping "Enter" and the capacitive button on the screen just to the left of the CD eject button - this didn't work for me.

I then unplugged the hard drive and CD, took out the BIOS battery and rebooted while tapping both buttons and was able to get into the BIOS on my second or third attempt. I put the BIOS battery back in while the machine was still running (this was probably a bad idea but it worked for me) and was able to boot from USB and install a temporary copy of Windows 7 to the mSATA SSD. From there, I was able to reflash the BIOS to the latest version which fixed the boot problem. I have now reconnected the hard drive and re-installed Windows 8.1.

Thanks

Rob

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

Excellent news!

What a strange solution, and glad you didn't fry yourself or the PC by re-installing the battery while the PC was running.

I certainly wouldn't recommend your method to anyone. :emotion-5:

No Events found!