Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-22-2016 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS One 2710 - Can't get Dell logo or any boot/diagnostic info. Help?

My XPS One 2710 has stopped turning on and attempting to boot.  I've looked through support/forums for info on this, but nothing matches my symptoms:

- press power button...  fans start, the power button illuminates white and a small LED indicator above it also illuminates in white...  5-7 seconds go by...

- the screen is illuminated, but is black.  No Dell logo appears.

- then the screen illumination turns off (darker black) and the white LED above the power button turns off.  The power button maintains its white illumination but the LED indicator turns off.  Fans keep spinning.

- pressing F12 to get the system diagnostics during this process does nothing.

I can't seem to get any text/BIOS/UEFI or anything to appear on the screen.  Anyone know what the source of this kind of problem is or what other indicator I should look for?   Is it likely I need to ship this back to Dell for repair? 

thx

Replies (3)
10 Diamond

Did you install Win 10 on this XPS 2710?

Dell hasn't tested this model for compatibility with Win 10. And if you search these forums, there are many posts about a "black screen of death" that Win 10 may cause on the XPS 2710.

There aren't many reliable fixes, aside from a new motherboard, for this problem, and quickly reverting to whichever version of Windows was installed prior to Win 10. But XPS 2710 motherboards are expensive and hard to come by...

And other fixes that seem to work for one user don't always work for other users.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am running Windows 10 as an Insider...  I actually work on the Windows team at Microsoft so I can get (and have gotten!) help from folks on the team if/when I have problems.  

But this situation seems different because I don't see any software (including UEFI/BIOS) getting invoked at all... so I'm trying to figure out if it's necessarily a hardware problem.

(Incidentally... BEFORE this "no text/boot" happened... I *was* getting an error message from my windows 10 boot sequence because I hadn't updated the OS software in a long time and it had expired.  I was about to re-install from a bootable USB key when this no-boot problem popped up.)

I'll search around for the "black screen of death" as well, but would love any additional info any of you may have.

thx

10 Diamond

Sorry, didn't see your last post until today...

Not exactly clear what goes wrong when running Win 10 on the 2710. It may be BIOS gets corrupted - some people either replaced the motherboard or replaced and programed the new BIOS chip to fix it. But there's also indications the NVidia video card that's hard wired to the motherboard is the problem.

There is a recent post from Rabb238 who removed the motherboard battery and then reinstalled it while the PC was ON and that allowed him to boot from USB and go from there.

Playing around inside the confines of an All-In-One case when it's on is risky to say the least. Lots of potential to cause permanent damage to the PC and/or to the user. So if you try his fix, you do it entirely at your own risk. And of course, no guarantees this will work for you. AFAIK, he's the only one who's used this approach and lived to talk about it. :emotion-5:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor