Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2016 13:00

XPS One 2710 Windows 10. Slow boot time

I have an older XPS One 2710 (non-touchscreen). Updated to Windows 10 earlier this year. Warranty expired (of course).

Everything was working fine until a system crash 1-2 weeks ago during a Windows update. Since then, when I turn on the computer, I get a black screen with a blinking "_" cursor in the top left corner of the screen. After about 5-10 minutes, the computer boots up, but I cannot access the boot menu in BIOS, no matter what I press, F2, F12, Ctrl-I...nothing works.

Is it a dead CMOS battery?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

10 Posts

November 17th, 2016 18:00

I've also done the F2 tapping as soon as I press the power switch until I see the BIOS sequence. Doesn't work either.

10 Posts

It does boot to the desktop...eventually, after waiting about 5-10 minutes. I've sat in front of my computer waiting until the BIOS boot sequence starts and started tapping on F2, I've tried F12 and F10 on other occasions. Nothing works. Once the BIOS sequence starts, it boots into Windows 10 and everything works fine. It's just that I have to wait the initial 5-10 minutes to start, which is 500-1000% longer than usual.

Thanks for your input.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Does it still boot to the desktop?  Dell has not tested this model for compatibility with Win 10 and there are lots of threads about a (permanent) "black screen of death" caused by Win 10 on this particular model. So be aware!

You have to be really fast to press F2 to get into BIOS setup with Win 10, assuming PC otherwise boots normally. Power off and when you power on, IMMEDIATELY tap F2 to open BIOS setup. (Don't hold F2 down.)

You can also reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F12 to see if you can get to the menu where you can run diagnostics on the hard drive. Even if the drive passes all the tests, you may need to repair Win 10. So back up your personal files on external media ASAP...

10 Posts

November 18th, 2016 10:00

I think this is one of the first things I did, and everything was OK. But I'll run it again. Will be back with full details after. Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 18th, 2016 10:00

You might have a damaged HDD and/or corrupted Windows files as a result of the crash during that recent update.

Go here and run the diagnostics, especially for hard drive and RAM. Make note of the error messages you get - if any...

If no errors reported, you may need to repair Windows...

10 Posts

November 18th, 2016 12:00

I had the following two errors:

Camera

Hardware TypeDiagnostic NameResult

Integrated WebcamEdge Detection Test Failed

Integrated WebcamLuminance Depth Test Warning

Integrated WebcamRGB Channel Test Passed

Integrated WebcamRGB Color Depth Test Warning

Integrated WebcamRGB Line Amplifier Test Passed

Integrated WebcamRGB Line Driver Test Passed

Integrated WebcamRGB Pixel Test Passed

Video Card

Hardware TypeDiagnostic NameResult

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MTransformation and Lighting Stress Test Cannot Run

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MStandard Mathematical Operations Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MAdvanced Mathematical Operations Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MPCI Express Status Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MMemory Fault Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MAddress Fault Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MAddress Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MMoving Inversion Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MGPU Pipeline Data Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MShader Rendering Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MFixed Transformation and Lighting Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MWireframe Line Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MWireframe Shader Rendering Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MShader Rendering DX10 Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MShader Rendering DX11 Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MMultiple Rendering DX9 Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MPattern Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MBlock Move Test Passed

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640MRandom Number Sequence Test Passed

Everything else passed testing

Thoughts?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 19th, 2016 12:00

You can try updating the GeForce GT 640M video driver from the Nvidia site, but I wouldn't worry about the webcam for the moment.

You can also try these:

At the desktop, click Start>Run and type in:

chkdsk C: /r

Accept the offer to run chkdsk on next boot and reboot.  See if it finds/fixes anything.

When chkdsk is done and PC reboots to desktop, click Start>Run and type in:

sfc /scannow

See if sfc reports any errors.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2016 13:00

Thanks.

Running chkdsk now...it's stuck at 10%.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2016 13:00

Thanks.

Running chkdsk now...it's stuck at 10%. Will keep you posted.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 21st, 2016 17:00

Now it gets complicated, depending on the OS that originally came with this PC and how you got to Win 10.  Did you upgrade from Win 7 or 8.1 to Win 10, or did you wipe the drive and do a clean install of Win 10?

If you did a clean install of Win 10, you can try doing a refresh. Be sure to read all the option prompts during the refresh to make sure your personal files aren't deleted. Always a good idea to back them up on external media first, before starting a refresh, just to be safe.

And make sure you have all the installation disks and product keys for your software before doing a refresh, because they'll have to be reinstalled.

When the refresh is done, run Windows Update to make sure all the latest patches are installed. And then install your software.

And if a refresh doesn't solve the problem, you'll either have to try a reset or a clean install of Win 10, both of which will delete your personal files and software.

If you upgraded from Win 7 or 8.1 to 10, a refresh may revert you to the previous OS. And in this case it may be easier and  cleaner to wipe the drive and do a clean install of Win 10.

And while you've run Win 10 for a while on this PC, there's still a chance you might get the 'black screen of death' that Win 10 caused on many XPS 2710 PCs, following either an upgrade or a clean install. So be aware of the potential risks involved. And consider permanently reverting to the earlier OS.

Are we having fun yet..? :emotion-7:

10 Posts

Whoa!

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I actually tried a refresh, but it did not revert to Win 7. It did fix a few other problems I was having (Search and Cortana was not working, and when I pressed the Windows key, all tiles were missing).

I'm not sure a clean install will fix the problem. When I turn on the power on the computer, absolutely nothing happens for 5-10 minutes. No BIOS check nothing. Just a blinking "_" cursor against a black screen. Does that have anything to do with the Windows install? I thought the computer has to do some BIOS checks (disks, processor, RAM, etc) before running the OS. Once the BIOS screen pops up (after 5-10 minutes of nothing), all is fine. Win 10 loads like nothing is wrong. In fact, once Win 10 loads, it's like nothing is wrong.

Thanks for your all your advice! And yes...having SO much fun! haha...

10 Posts

After running svc /scannow, it says:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS/CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

That's all I got.

The chkdsk C: /r did not turn up any bad sectors.

Thanks

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 16:00

Got it...thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 16:00

You said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them. "

So that says to me there's still a software problem...

BIOS looks at the hardware before booting but you only found the webcam and video card errors when you ran the diagnostics., which suggests the hardware is ok. 

No Events found!