Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2016 16:00

XPS One 2720 Monitor flickers on and off

I have a three year old XPS One 2720. Two years ago after updating some drivers it started to flicker on and off and I paid a local tech to come and fix it.  he didn't so I signed up for Dell Concierge.  They fixed it.  Then last month my system crashed and then failed a hard drive test. The hard drive is failing so I bought a new one and installed it, no problem.  But bnot the flicker is back.  And no one seems to be able to solve it, including Dell Concierge.  If I put the old drive back in, there is no flicker.   But the new hard drive, the flicker is back.  This makes using the machine a frustrating experience, to say the least. Does any one have ideas on how this can be fixed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 08:00

Based on the troubleshooting, the fault lies with the operating system driver versions installed on the replacement HDD versus the old HDD. You can start by reinstalling all of the Dell chipset and video drivers. Reboot and retest. Then allow Windows update to check for newer driver versions. Install them one at a time retesting after each one until you find the faulty driver.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 09:00

I think that the Intel 4600 controls the HDMI out to the TV, which is most likely why the Nvidia failed that test. But no flicker on the TV does point to the Nvidia GT 750M GPU or driver as the fault. Reinstall our GT 750M driver, retest. Then install the retail Nvidia driver and retest.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for the post.  In the meantime, this morning I used an HDMI cable to attach a tv to the all in one and I do not have the flicker on the tv even as it occurs on the monitor.  Does that impact your advice? I also ran the Dell Online Diagnostic Tool Full test and the NVIDIA GeGFprce GT 750M came back with the message that the text could not run.  The camera's Edge Detection Test failed with "WWC09-VQQ" before the failure.  Here are two screen shots of the Support Assist screen  

4 Posts

October 5th, 2016 14:00

I did a clean install of the Dell driver and ran the test and both video cards passed.  

I rebooted and the problem persisted.  

I then did a clean install of the Nvidia driver and ran the test and again it passed.  But the flickering continues on the original monitor.  So do I need to buy a new Nvidia card and intall it?  Can I remove the card and rely soley on the Intel card?  I had disable the Nvidia card using divice manager but the flickering persisted. (I don't play any games, what I mostly use this for is writing, web browsing, and databases)

Or should I just buy a new moinitor and use the All in One as a CPU and go from there?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2016 06:00

The Nvidia Geforce GT 750M is "part" of the motherboard J6G6P. So you would have to replace the entire motherboard. The motherboard price outweighs the current market value of the system. Disabling it in the Device Manager is the only way, but as you said, it still causes the flicker. So the most economical solution is to attach an external monitor via HDMI to the system.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2016 07:00

Thanks

1 Message

February 2nd, 2017 07:00

Windows 10 64b

-If Avira is installed (remove System Speedup)

-Install: INTEL DRIVER UPDATE UTILITY

-Start PROGRAM

-install: WIN64_154004.2.EXE

WIN64_153338.EXE

-Reinstall System Speedup

-nvidia 375.63

-bios a13

No Events found!