Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 19:00

XPS One A2010 Display Failure

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The display has failed on my XPS One.  Symptoms are as follows:  Computer boots fine, no POST errors, stays running just fine.  However, the display shuts itself off (goes black).  In order to bring the display back up, I have to press the display power button off, then on.  The display will stay running for a few seconds, then will power itself back off.  This happens in BIOS setup, during boot-up, and in full OS mode.

What I have done:  Per Dell tech support, faulty video card was replaced, did not fix the problem.  Per tech support, faulty system board was replaced, did not fix the problem.  All connections have been checked - no ability to run hardware diagnostics, as i cannot get the display to run long enough to do anything functional.  Dell has offered to troubleshoot the problem with me, but wants to charge me $59, but I am do not have faith that they will solve the problem, as they have already had two chances to help fix this ongoing issue.  Not to be rude to Dell or to their tech support - no offense intended.

Current status:  Now, when I try to power on the display, I hear a humming, buzzing, or vibrating sound coming from the lower right corner of the unit (near the display power button).  It caused my computer to reboot this morning.  I notice that the lights stay on for the display power button and the DVD eject button.  When the display does come one, I notice that it flickers.  My system is out of warranty, but i am a tech, so have no issue with replacing parts myself. 

Any ideas as to what is really the problem?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 05:00

Hi Cheli,

The display issue sounds like a problem with the power inverter board. 

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 09:00

Thank you @Osprey4.  I will try that and post back my results.

3 Posts

December 27th, 2010 16:00

No Good.  I replaced the LCD power inverter - problem and symptoms are the same.  Any other suggstions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thx

12 Posts

March 11th, 2014 17:00

Exact same issue. Have you solved your problem yet?

1 Message

June 7th, 2015 15:00

Did you ever find a resolution to this? My A2010 turns on and the blue lights blink at start up and nothing ever appears on the screen. The fans are running and it continues to simply seem to idle with fans running and nothing on screen.

I replaced the BIOS Battery when this happened before and it started working. But, There was an error message saying there was an issue with the fan. I bought the PC second hand. Not sure of the history with it.. Will check service tag... also i have taken the PSU out and it is very dirty. I will be cleaning all of the dust off and i will also try reseating the video card and heat sink.

I will update this afterwards. I have done some research and it's not clear what this issues may be. Motherboard, Video Card and PSU have been the most mentioned replacement fixes.

No Events found!