Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 3rd, 2009 08:00

XPS One Bios Update - Now the fans are on at all times?

I can't figure out why, but now my fans are on at all times.  Its annoying, I can't figure out why.  My core temps are in the 20's (Celsius) so its not overheated, the fans are just on ALL THE TIME.

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 09:00

The only thing I saw relative to the fan in the "fixes" was in a previous BIOS update (that is included in the latest update) that fixed a fan failure notice. 

The only "fix/ehnancements" listed in the latest BIOS update was to change to the new Logo. 

I don't usually tell people to do BIOS updates, but you may want to install an earlier version, just in case it was the BIOS update that caused the problem.

60 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 09:00

Downgraded to 2.02... still the fans at 100%

Upgraded to 2.04 ... still the fans at 100%

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 12:00

One other thing to try, reinstall the chipset drivers.  I recall someone else had a fan problem (not the same model) and the chipset drivers fixed it.

There are two different XPS one models listed. 

HERE is the several chipset drivers for the XPS One A2420.  There is another XPS/Dimension One listed and I didn't know which model you have.

60 Posts

May 3rd, 2009 16:00

"management engine interface" or "chipset software utility"?  I have a 20", A2010

thanks for your help btw

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 16:00

The chipset driver, but if others are listed, I'd install them all.

One of the prime things the chipset drivers do is define what is on or attached to the motherboard.

This is not a guarantee that it will fix your fan problem, but worth a try since it did fix a fan problem on a different model.

60 Posts

May 4th, 2009 10:00

i installed them all, to no avail... still the fans are always on.  I am stumped, and annoyed.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 4th, 2009 14:00

Is there a BIOS listed older than the 2.02 version you tried?  If there is, try that one.  But, it may not be a BIOS problem and just a coincidence that the fan issue started at the same time. 

If the PC is still under Warranty, call Dell Support.  If it's under warranty and there is a hardware problem only Dell Support can get parts replaced (at no charge).

60 Posts

May 8th, 2009 13:00

Just out of warranty.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with the fan, so I am really stumped here.  Stupid me for installing the new BIOS.

60 Posts

June 18th, 2009 07:00

PLEASE HELP ITS ANNOYING AS CAN BE

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 18th, 2009 08:00

There are actually two 2.02s. Which one did you install?

Release Date: 4/8/2008
Fixes and Enhancements: Removed auto install after extraction. Fixes Fan failure error message. 

Release Date: 3/21/2008
Fixes and Enhancements: System Fan modification.

313 Posts

June 18th, 2009 08:00

Are you comfortable opening up your PC, if you are then try removing and putting back in the CMOS battery, it is located on the motherboard and looks like a large watch battery, i once had a similair issue to you on my old PC and it sorted it out. Have a go it might work.

5 Posts

June 27th, 2009 02:00

PLEASE HELP ITS ANNOYING AS CAN BE

I am having the same issue on my A2420. I had many issues with this computer and when they replaced it, I noticed the fan was on at full blast after a few minutes and doesn't change

60 Posts

August 10th, 2009 15:00

I tried removing the CMOS battery to no avail.

Also, I applied all of the BIOS updates, in sequential order as suggested.   Now the fans are always on no matter what BIOS I upgrade or downgrade to.  It keeps my temps very low, which is fine, but the constant noise is unnecessary - it used to only come on for a few seconds at startup and when under constant load.

60 Posts

August 31st, 2009 11:00

Replaced both of the fans, and the new ones also run continuously.  Dell, are you out there?

60 Posts

September 10th, 2009 14:00

so, anybody?  Dell?  Pretty please?

No Events found!