Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2011 13:00

XPS One video image problem - horizontal lines on right of screen

I have an XPS One all-in-one running Vista.  No hardware changes.  No driver changes.  Only updates are from Microsoft O/S updates and Norton Internet Security.  There is a section on the right side of my screen which intermittently has short horizontal lines appear.  In one of the two images attached a section of the screen has actually inversed the color scheme.  I have photos and am trying to attach an image too.  Do I have a video card problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 09:00

Looks that way. I would reinstall the video card driver before doing anything else.

159 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 13:00

Do you see these horizontal lines when you are in DOS too? Or you see them only on windows?

6 Posts

December 5th, 2011 14:00

I installed the latest video drivers from Dell.com and also the latest BIOS.  Also opened up the back and re-seated the video card and blew out innards looking for dust bunnies.  Still has the horizontal lines appearing on the right edge of the monitor image (looks like that 'bars & waves' visualization panel in Win Media Player -- only sideways).  I think the bars begin appearing after the PC has warmed up making me suspect it is a video card issue related to heating. Will also try testing under DOS too (didn't have DOS CD and a good idea since it wouldn't use Windows drivers) and will reseat memory chips (just in case).

6 Posts

December 6th, 2011 12:00

Ran tests in DOS and the lines show up even in DOS.  Also reseated 2 memory chips (just in case) and ran with only 1 of the 2 memory chips, and the problem still shows up.  Any other testing ideas before I purchase a video card replacement?

6 Posts

December 6th, 2011 17:00

Performed further testing. Upgraded video driver. Re-seated video card, memory chips, and blew out dust.  Booted under DOS too.  Video problem still appears as in illustration.  Seems to be heat related because it only starts up after the computer has been running a while.  Any other suggestions for diagnostics before I purchase a new video card?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 9th, 2011 11:00

Is the fan on the GPU working? Overheating can sometimes lead to permanent problems.

The issue could also be a failing power supply that has a bad or dead cooling fan.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2011 16:00

Thanks, SpeedStep.  The XPS One is an all-in-one and doesn't have a fan on the GPU. The discrete video card has a huge heatsink, though, and relies on it for cooling.  The 2 fans are indeed running, one which cools the CPU, and I blew out any dust bunnies just to make sure there wasn't any blockage of the cooling vents.  Ordered a replacement video card from Dell and will report back whether it fixes the problem or not.  Definitely a heat-related issue since it appears after the computer has been running for a while.  

6 Posts

December 15th, 2011 21:00

Well, got the remanufactured video card from Dell and it did not solve the problem.  Since there are no other replaceable video parts, it looks like the computer will need head to recycling because I'm not willing to replace the motherboard.  Kudos to Dell, though, because I was able to return the video card I purchased under their 21-day return policy.  They even covered the return postage.

No Events found!