Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2008 13:00

XPS Screech Of Death (SoD)

We have been put on the back burner far too long. Dell has buried the original thread deep in the bowels of thise message board, so I'm here to repost it and MAYBE get some answers. First, a small introduction to the problem.

The Screech of Death (forthwith known simply as SoD) is a loud, high-pitched noise that erupts from the speakers of a Dell XPS often accompanied by a total system lockup (yes with the sound still coming).

Dell and Creative have both been unable to find a reason why this is happeneing, or even a system that they can "duplicate" the issue on.

A link to the original Thread: Here

Its 17 pages. So be warned.

43 Posts

August 4th, 2008 13:00

I think the invoice Idea is a good one. I can make it in InDesign and send it out to you all. Shall I go forth with that? Perhaps a letter of mass protest will get their attention (with c.c.'s to some other people...)

43 Posts

August 4th, 2008 14:00

I replyed to the Compalint marking it as unsatisfactory. In my response I brought up the point that Gabhan made about the invoices or website not identifiying the cards as OEM, as well as the misinformation regarding my system (which they marked as 8100 not 720)

116 Posts

August 4th, 2008 16:00

Maybe we could enlist some help from rampantspeculation.com ...

They got the ball rolling with the XPS 700 fiasco.

Just a thought. They know people in the "know" at dell... 

15 Posts

Isn't it incredible that Dell continues to ship machines with this known and widespread problem.  Wow.
Message Edited by Nez on 08-04-2008 12:28 PM

15 Posts

So, is there any organized effort to get Dell to resolve this mess?  I couldn't find anything specific in the many many threads on this problem.

It looks like even installing retail cards does not resolve it...?  That makes this very hard to deal with.  Getting a refund on the 'upgrade' OEM card we all paid for really does nothing other than put a few dollars in my pocket.  I want the problem fixed so my machine is usable.

1.7K Posts

see many new threads of the screech and sound issues today in the XPS and Desktop Forums..Dell is in Denial

241 Posts

August 4th, 2008 19:00

Seems like good things don't last, just minutes ago I had the screech! Thats on a BRAND NEW XPS 420, it was delivered 10 days ago. Really poor for what is a brand new Dell.

To think I just bought a new Inspiron 1525 laptop worth over £700.

15 Posts

@paulbeattie87 wrote:

Seems like good things don't last, just minutes ago I had the screech! Thats on a BRAND NEW XPS 420, it was delivered 10 days ago. Really poor for what is a brand new Dell.

To think I just bought a new Inspiron 1525 laptop worth over £700.

Same here.  My XPS arrived about 9 days ago.  And I bought an Inspiron 1720 about a month ago for $1,600.  I bought another desktop about 10 months ago... I must be mad.

241 Posts

@joecapp wrote:

Dell needs to explain why they would ship you a system with known screech problems. These problems have been known to Creative for many years in their line of sound cards.

The Dell forums are full of people complaining about Dell OEM sound cards from Creative and the Creative forums are full of people complaining about retail Creative cards. The problems are not new and certainly well known. They cross various operating systems and various configurations.

It seems that the problems can be reduced but not eliminated.

Well Dell shipped me this machine to replace the old one which again had the same problem. So this is my second XPS 420 which has problems.

So Dell in essence  have shipped me two knowlingly faulty systems. I say Dell but I dont mean the nice lady who is dealing with my case. Somebody in Dell knows about the problem and they are clueless to a fix.

Will see how it goes tomorrow when I speak to Dell about the issue. I don't really want to send this PC back for a refund as I'm back to square one and I would also get a lesser spec PC if I were to buy one.

Like I say will see what Dell say tomorrow when I call them. I suppose I could just go through new build after new build! 

241 Posts

And thats a second screech!!!

15 Posts

@joecapp wrote:

Dell needs to explain why they would ship you a system with known screech problems. These problems have been known to Creative for many years in their line of sound cards.

The Dell forums are full of people complaining about Dell OEM sound cards from Creative and the Creative forums are full of people complaining about retail Creative cards. The problems are not new and certainly well known. They cross various operating systems and various configurations.

Agreed.  And while one can do research before buying something, it should not be necessary at this level.  I will be writing to Dell.  I am sure the first five replies from them will be stock and waste-of-time suggestions but I have patience...

632 Posts

241 Posts

August 4th, 2008 20:00

Even better news chaps, upgraded to the latest Creative drivers as being used by Gabhan and after 15 minutes of uptime I get a screech!!

Gotta love how serious Dell take this, ah well another new build PC coming to me. Think I should arrange for another new build to be delivered around the 25th. Will keep you posted how tomorrow goes, I do wonder how long it is before Dell tell me the fault is not fixable. Then I will laugh. 

The worlds biggest or should I now say second biggest computer company, and they can't sort a sound card fault. Pathetic? I think so. I couldn't care how complex the issue is if Dell currently have no fix they should pull the X-Fi from their current range of configurations and write to every X-Fi owner at least since January apologising for the inconvenience and then getting the cards collected and customers suitable compensated.

1.7K Posts

August 5th, 2008 15:00

I have receiverd another email from Creative with 3 files attached.. any takers ?
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 08-05-2008 12:39 PM

15 Posts

August 5th, 2008 15:00

@Toronto699 wrote:
I have receiverd another email from Creative with 2 files attached.. any takers ?

What is it supposed to address?  BIOS, drivers?  XPS, something else?

No Events found!