Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2008 13:00

XPS Screech Of Death (SoD)

We have been put on the back burner far too long. Dell has buried the original thread deep in the bowels of thise message board, so I'm here to repost it and MAYBE get some answers. First, a small introduction to the problem.

The Screech of Death (forthwith known simply as SoD) is a loud, high-pitched noise that erupts from the speakers of a Dell XPS often accompanied by a total system lockup (yes with the sound still coming).

Dell and Creative have both been unable to find a reason why this is happeneing, or even a system that they can "duplicate" the issue on.

A link to the original Thread: Here

Its 17 pages. So be warned.

1.7K Posts

August 5th, 2008 16:00

the creative email with 3 files attached  readme says

1. Ensures previos Beta driver is still installed on your system

2. copy out all rfx files from system32\data folder

3. Then Copy the 3 attached rfx files into system32data folder and overwrite the old files

4. run Refresh.reg file

5. Reboot system.

6. Copy out all rfx files again

7. send back the 2 copies of rfx files

I no longer have the Beta file installed as it was awefull i installed the latest 2.18.0004 drivers and console launcher as beta file Schreeched on my Dell XPS 720 Screeching Dell Branded Xtremegamer ,  the ne 2.180004 screeches as well . Screech was Free No Charge

Seems i have become Dells and Creatives Beta Tester and i realy dislike that idea,either Dell or Creative can  pick up my XPS 720 anytime as i really dont need it as i now have  2 HP-Blackbirds from Voodoo PC . They work flawslessly,

I will Play along with  the Dell Creative Screeching Game

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 08-05-2008 12:18 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 08-05-2008 12:36 PM

43 Posts

August 6th, 2008 16:00

heres the response to my response for the BBB complaint:

On August 05, 2008, the business provided the following information:
Although the specific solution offered for the 8100 model did not fit this case, the similarities between the issues (OEM sound card on a Dell system) indicate that the solution might be that an updated BIOS is needed for the model XPS 720 system that the customer has. The customer is going to check with Dell if such an update can be acquired.   

This, of course, is Directly opposite to the information Chris_M provided.

116 Posts

August 6th, 2008 17:00

Utemetsu,

Have you ever been to forums.rampantspeculation.com ? The reason I ask is that the majority of the users there, as well as the creator of the site went through the XPS700 motherboard upgrade to XPS720 due to a misinformation on the part of the motherboard manufacturer.

That being said, many of those users also had XFI problems, some did not. They might be able to aid in your quest for answers as well. At any rate, it may be worth a post over there.

http://forums.rampantspeculation.com/

Message Edited by wxman1995 on 08-06-2008 01:22 PM

241 Posts

August 8th, 2008 09:00

Guys, I need you to post your speaker setup and connection.

E.g... 5.1 with analogue connections. Analogue being the 3.5mm jacks.

I have a feeling that it could be a problem with 5.1 speaker setups in our case so need to get an idea of what others setups are.

Also if possible post what creative "extras" you have enabled e.g.. Crystalizer, CMSS-3D, sound effects etc

Will double post this in the other thread for max replies.

44 Posts

August 8th, 2008 09:00

To test this theory, maybe just turn on 2.1 speakers in Control Panel and see where that gets you. I had gone a week between screeches, so this may or may not help in surfacing the problem for me. But anyone who has the screech more often than once a day should be better able to let us know...

15 Posts

August 8th, 2008 11:00

2.1 over analog.  SOD several times a day.

EAX checked but effects=none.

Crystalizer off.

CMSS-3D on.

Entertainment mode.

43 Posts

August 8th, 2008 13:00

I'm only using 2.1 speakers (2 speakers and a woofer)....its definately not the speaker setup. Its either a Driver problem or a BIOS problem.

1.7K Posts

August 8th, 2008 13:00

its not the speaker set up. nor is it the sound card enhancements.  i have an xonard2x

http://usa.asus.com/

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 08-08-2008 01:36 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 08-08-2008 01:38 PM

43 Posts

August 8th, 2008 17:00

both of those links are dead/broken :(
No Events found!