Highlighted

XPS Studio 8100: GeForce® GTX 960 driver causes black screen on windows start-up

Dear All,
I upgraded graphics card on my Dell XPS studio 8100 from NVidia Geforce 240 (which came with the machine) to a more powerful ASUS Turbo GeForce® GTX 960.

At first all worked fine. However, recently I had to completely reinstall Windows on my machine due to a major crash (Barracuda HDD  totally gave way....). I purchased a new HDD, obtained a Win 7 installation disk from Dell, and was able to restore my system. I am still unable to make the GeForce GTX 960 work, however. It works with Standard Windows driver, but any version of NVidia driver that I try to install causes the black screen during Windows boot (right after presenting Windows logo).  The system does boot in safe mode, and rollback of the Video driver restores status quo.

I googled the problem, and most people connect it with an on-board Intel graphics adapter not being properly disabled and causing conflict with the Asus graphics card. I checked the Windows Device Manager, and BIOS Advanced settings, but none of them shows an on-board graphics card installed (and as far as I know, I never ordered one with my system, so it makes sense). This means the pro problem must lie elsewhere.

Would be very grateful for your help

Thank you very much in advance,

Dmitry

0 Kudos