Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2010 00:00

XPS Studio 9100: video card and power supply question

I'm in the process of ordering a new Dell system and have set my eyes on the Studio XPS 9100 with the ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB2 GDDR5 card.  I read that this particular video card requires 650W, but according to the Dell website the 9100 comes with 525W power supply.  I don't really understand this.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2010 03:00

Is the exact same card the one you got the different power requirement for?  There are different vendors that make video cards and the power can vary between vendors.  Also, video card vendors tend to overstate the actual power requirement at times.

There is a "what do I buy" section, and that may be a better place for your question.  This section is a users helping users with hardware problems.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2010 07:00

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.  I will try that one later.

I actually found out about the power requirement from the Dell website where a customer was reviewing the XPS 9100 he bought.  He initially got the ATI Radeon 5870, and later when he wanted to upgrade to the 5970, the Dell tech person told him that it wouldn't be compatible because the 9100 comes with 525W power supply, and the 5970 requires 650W (which I also confirmed when I checked the ATI website).  But I'm hoping that if Dell offers that option, they should have tested the system to make sure it's okay.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2010 08:00

On SOME offered options, if the buyer selects that they supply other components such as a power supply that will handle the options.  I remember them doing that on some of the older XPS models - e.g. some models came with either a 750 or 1000 watt power supply depending on the ordered options.

No Events found!