AustinXPS
2 Bronze

Re: XPS one 27 Microphone catches almost no sound

Jump to solution
The machine has been great. Everything seems to stem from terrible Windows 8 audio drivers. Including random lock ups of the sound settings panel. I think this mic problem is either a bad driver or bad mic design / placement.
0 Kudos
DELL-Sundeep B
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Hi,

@VictoriaDell

As you are facing multiple issues with the system, please private message the Service Tag of your system and the name on account (Click on my name and click on Start Conversation). Will take it further from there.

@AustinXPS

Please share if you have tried the steps for installing audio drivers as given in my initial post.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
Sundeep B
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
AustinXPS
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes. I ran those steps. Weird the mic seems to work fine in Skype. Had to do an hour call the other day and it was fine.

Skype seems to handle mics better though.

0 Kudos
DELL-Sundeep B
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Hi AustinXPS,

As the mic is working fine in Skype, the issue might not be with the hardware. The challenge might be with the recording program. Please try using an alternative recording software and see if the issue persists. There are a lot of freeware audio recording programs available such as Audacity. You may download it from Here.

Note : This application is neither tested nor endorsed by Dell.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
Sundeep B
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
rkazares
2 Bronze

RE: XPS one 27 Microphone catches almost no sound

Jump to solution

I have just installed Windows 10 in my XPS ONE 2710 - and find that the built-in microphone is TOTALLY USELESS!  I have tried ALL OF THE STEPS you have recommended to all of the others with similar problems - and NOTHING helps!!!!   An "add-on" external microphone works JUST FINE!!!!!

My conclusion:  The Dell supplied mic is JUNK - as the same driver seems to work with any other microphone connected!!! 

BozzaLab
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I also just installed Windows 10 on my XPS ONE 2710.  My microphone is now completely useless for Skype calls.  It was ok in the past.

MarkCoburn
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

With Windows 8 and 8.1 the microphone was always a problem but worked with some gain. Unlike a previous poster, I found it unusable for skype because of the background noise but could get it to understand some verbal commands in the right (quiet) conditions.

Now with Windows 10 it hears nothing. Even with gain all the way up. Speech recognition setup says that it hears nothing from my microphone.

Mark

0 Kudos