Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2014 08:00

XPS18 Touch screen issues

I have a new XPS 18, which works beautifully with the keyboard and mouse sitting in the XPS stand. However the problems start when you pick up the display and carry it off to use in another place away from the keyboard and mouse.  Unfortunately the touch aspects of the display just stop working.  I have made sure all the latest updates are installed (both Windows and Dell drivers, including BIOS).  It appears to stop working when you either switch from landscape to portrait or just carry the machine.  

This is understandably incredibly frustrating as the whole point of having this desktop/tablet device was to move it around and use the very large screen in the kitchen or in the lounge, with the touch screen.

If you have any advice please contribute, I suspect it is more software fault than hardware since the touch screen works perfectly sitting in the stand with the keyboard and mouse in range.

thanks

3 Posts

January 18th, 2015 07:00

This turned out to be a fault display and Dell came out and switched the screen for a new one.  Luckily it occurred within the first couple of months of ownership, so all done under warranty.  No issues since the new screen went in.

Regards

October 19th, 2014 14:00

Hi,

I have the new XPS 18 too and works well, but mouse point jumping when I am typing something and the current window disappears.

I already upgrade and install all available drivers and windows updates.

I will try to contact dell support. I think this is a hardware problem, but may be a software configuration problem.

I tried many things but the problem still continue.

bye.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2015 08:00

I too have had the same problem. When I talked to Dell they suggested a "refresh" and that seemed to work for a while. But the problem came back and I was not willing to go through the refresh again.

Eventually it settled down to always jumping to one spot on the display. As I normally use it with a keyboard, my solution was to turn off touch. That worked, the problem is definitely touch related. As my tablet is now out of warranty I have not complained to Delll yet.

No Events found!