Highlighted
Hanky461
1 Copper

XPS400 will not boot XP usb installer

I have an XPS400 that I currently have ubuntu installed on. After Ubuntu has become corrupted more than once I thought it might be a good idea to install windows XP on it instead. I had an original XP Professional install disk laying around as well as a license for XP Media Center edition '05 (original to the computer) so I thought I would just run the installation process and input my product key when prompted. Unfortunately each time I put in the disk it would bluescreen, after searcing I found that a simple fix would be to run an install disc with at least sp2. Since I do not have a disc burner I decided to create a windows xp sp3 usb drive, doing so I tested it on my newer laptop, and it worked fine. When I put the flash drive in the Dell it was able to boot from it once but it gave me a different stop code from the disk, after some searching I found some possible fixes for the stop code but now the Dell will not boot from the flash drive at all, when I select usb in the boot menu it freezes on that screen, the arrow keys will  no longer scroll through boot options and it will not display any error messages or anything new at all. I was able to boot from a flash drive with ubunu on it and on my laptop I was still able to boot the xp flash drive. Can anyone tell me what is going on? If you have any questions about my setup etc please ask

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: XPS400 will not boot XP usb installer

Hi Hanky461,

What's the bluescreen when you try to boot to the XP disc?

0 Kudos
Hanky461
1 Copper

Pci.sys - Address F853E0BF base at F8537000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

Very likely missing some drivers, the things I read online said if I slipstreamed sp2/3 I could get past this but I do not have a cd burner, which is why I was trying to create a usb

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I take it you are not using a Dell XP disc?

You can still slipstream SP3 into the installer on a flash drive.

0 Kudos