Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2015 00:00

XPS410/Dim9200 -- no sound after MB replacement

Hi,

I have an XPS 410 renamed to Dim 9200.  It came with audio, which from my original delivered specs I had ATI RADEON X1300 PRO 256M.  (I have the ATI Audio R157052 driver in my C:\dell\drivers folder.)

Now with the mobo replaced, I run Device Mgr and that says SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC.  When I first fired up the system after the mobo replacement the sound was fine, but now all sound software, every single one of them do not play, after being launched.  Windows Media Player, my transcription software, and a couple of others.

I run the Dell Diagnostic and it doesn't tell me what my audio driver need is.  Device Mgr, though, says that I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC.  (I have Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio R147075 in my C:\Dell\Drivers folder.)

I have Vista 32bit

In Programs and Features I have both ATI Catalyst Install Manager (only) and SigmaTel Aduio installed.

(1) Do I install another Sigma Tel driver?

(2) Is there any other reason why I might not have functionality in any program which requires sound?

Thanks for your help

Bella

I am already computer-dumb, I don't want to install anything stupider.  Thanks in advance for your help.

22 Posts

June 9th, 2015 03:00

Hi, this is Bella again.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

When I tried to turn off the system, after first launching everything  since the mobo had been replaced, of course Windows Vista could not be shut down because a lot of updates were in order.  

One of the updates had taken forever to install, but I had let it run and run and run and run, finally that update and all the rest of the updates completed.

Upon first powering on after all those updates, the system would not start Windows, but appeared to be stuck booting up.  I had to leave the room to keep my hands off the power button.

When I finally came back Vista had launched, and

MY SOUND WAS BACK!!!!

All previously mentioned audio applications plus a newly installed one play flawlessly.

Thank you!

June 8th, 2015 22:00

Hi, 

We see that R157052  is the correct audio driver. Have you checked the volume control options just in case?

Did we try earphones as well as speakers ??

Was the motherboard replaced by Dell?

Would request to do a system restore to the date when the board was replaced if still doesn't work then to reinstall windows.

Regards

22 Posts

June 8th, 2015 23:00

(1)  Have you checked the volume control options just in case?

I ALWAYS play around with the volume control options in all kinds of screens, since the various screens will reduce existing volume by a fixed percentage and after using a number of different players, sound becomes almost non-existent.  So I do RAISE VOLUME regularly in any screen I'm using.

(2) Did we try earphones as well as speakers ??

I do not use speakers, I only use earphones.

(3) Was the motherboard replaced by Dell?

The mobo was SOLD BY DELL, and replaced by a former DELL FIELD TECH (retired) who replaced mobos in that exact range of Dell desktops as a normal part of his job while employed by Dell in the same time range as my system was in warranty.

(4) Would request to do a system restore to the date when the board was replaced if still doesn't work then to reinstall windows.

I have TURNED OFF SYSTEM RESTORE, as it's a ram hog in Vista 32bit,  I do not have the capacity to system restore.

I would like NOT TO REINSTALL VISTA because my disks are pre-SP2, and putting back Vista SP2 into my system would be a bear.

THE PROBLEM RESTATED.

Not a single media player plays.  I click on the "Play" right-pointing icon in any software, and nothing happens.  EVERY single software does not change that icon from Play to Pause, but the other part of the software, indicating playback has started is activated.  Even though it looks like Play is activated, the PROGRESS BAR DOES NOT ADVANCE, the software does NOT CONTINUE TO PLAY, and there is NO SOUND

So something in the system software is controlling ALL MEDIA PLAYERS.

Windows Media Player, Chrome mp3 player, my transcription software, etc., etc., etc.

Could it be that some lower level software needed by the the hardware (which controls the higher level application software) is lacking information it needs, since the hardware was replaced?

Could it be that my R157052 audio driver needs to be told that there's a new audio hardware to recognize?  Would reinstalling that audio driver do it?

Is it possible that there are necessary command changes to put into BIOS?  Is there a support.dell.com page that would have instructions?

Thank you

Bella

No Events found!