Whatsupport
1 Copper

XPS420 Raid errors - Appalling Customer Service

Having bought an XPS420 (in the UK)just after New Year I experienced the RAID volume errors experienced by so many other users (still not resolved) however even more frustrating than the issue itself has been my dealings with Dell's customer support.

My first contact in relation to the problem was via email and I was advised to uninstall the Matrix Manager and install a different version of it via a supplied download link. I tried this and found it is not possible to fully uninstall it - only the non critical components (which I did). I then installed the version downloaded and was quite suprised to see that it was an older version than the one my machine shipped with. I emailed back asking for clarification but received 2 further emails suggesting I do the same thing, each disregarding my responses telling them I had carried out the requested tasks. I was extremely frustrated and scheduled a callback from technical support and waited and waited and waited... Nothing at all. I manged to get through to Dell after more waiting (at my expense I might add) and arranged for an engineer to visit me today. Having taken the day off work especially for this, I was quite concerned when I had heard nothing and again after 30 minutes trying to contact XPS support via any means possible (I have found via Dimension online chat to be the best option - Dell call you back and incurr the phone charges as they should !)got through to somebody who said they did not have the parts and the engineer would not be coming.Absolutely no contact from Dell to let me know.

I have rescheduled the engineer again for tomorrow having had to take more time off work but have got absolutely no faith in the fact that he will turn up.

I have never experienced such poor customer support for any product I own never mind from such a big organisation.When you contact the technical support centre it seems as if they are more focussed on being polite than resolving the issue at hand.

Have I been unlucky or is this a common problem ?

Does anybody have any contact details where I can register my complaints at a higher level than customer service as I have found them to be as equally poor as technical support ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
trampas
1 Copper

Re: XPS420 Raid errors - Appalling Customer Service

We bought our XPS420 in mid January in the UK (1TB Raid 0, GeForce 8800GT, 3GB memory, Vista Premium). We then had the raid error 'Error Occurred' on boot up following the machine freezing. I phoned the special (!!) XPS number in the evening and the support guy (not sure where he was) asked me if the data was important and after I said not, got me to Ctrl I and recreate the raid which removed all data. He then got me to reload the operating system which failed stuck on the initial progress bar. He then said that someone would call the next day at 2pm about replacing the drives.
Next day there was no phone call and so I phoned the XPS number again. Long wait so I phoned the next moring. This time I got a nice chap from Canada who could find no record of my first call. So he took me through diagnostics on the drives and gave me a case number (which the first chap had not). I phoned again after 10 hours with the diagnostics still going but having got through all of the first drive and most of the tests on the second. This time I could quote a case number and the new support chap (from India) said he would phone me back the next day after the tests had completed.
The tests completed with no errors and so I tried reloading the operating system. This now worked and so I carried on loading Dell updates, applications, games etc. So far it is still working (fingers crossed).
Anyway the guy from India did phone back, missed me, phoned back the next day but couldn't do anything as it was all now working. He said he would phone again to recheck on Friday - tomorrow.

So thoughts:
I am very nervous that the same thing will happen again as nothing was 'fixed'.
The support people are very polite and some do phone back but they don't seem to know why the error occurred - and it seems a common problem.
It would have been much easier for me if the first guy had told me to run diagnostics!!!
Message Edited by trampas on 02-21-2008 11:18 AM
0 Kudos

All,

I need your PC service tag numbers. Please put them in your DCF (Dell Community Forum) profile.
0 Kudos
LeahcimAz
3 Zinc

Hi,

Try this,

Unresolved Technical Support Issues

XPS720
Windows Vista Ultimate
McAfee Security Center
Microsoft Office 2007
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz
4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card
LITE-ON 16X DVD-ROM
LITE-ON 16X DVD-RW
Broadcom 5754 Ethernet NIC NetXtreme
Dell 24" LCD Monitor
Logitec Cordless Desktop Wave Keyboard & Mouse
HP Scanjet G4010 Photo Flatbed Scanner
Canon i950s Photo Printer

0 Kudos
Barlix
1 Copper

Same problem here!

After a week after I got my XPS420 it freezes and "error occurred", I deleted the Raid0, created a new. Reinstalled everything, updated everything.

The computer got faster, everything got better.

Then after two weeks it freezes again, on boot "error occurred". Did the process again and just a few Days ago the same problem, now I just have marked the "erroring" hdd as working in intel matrix storage.

No answer from the email support either(wrote them 3 days ago)...

0 Kudos
Toms2056
1 Copper

+1, Exactly the same problem with me. I thought i had sorted it after i reset the raid. I was very annoyed also as i had no way at the time of backing up any data (Smiley Mad!!!) So i reset it and it worked beautifully, i was missing a few programs etc that obviously hadnt been thrown on the disk, but it was worth a working computer, yes?
2 days ago i turn on my computer and i see that dreaded orange writing. I cant live with reseting the entire computer every 2-3 weeks.

I shall be calling Dell later this evening (UK) and expecting the hard drive to be replaced as i see no other means of sorting it...

Thats going to be fun, last time i called about anything: no real help.

Message Edited by Toms2056 on 02-22-2008 11:35 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVick71
1 Copper

I think I'll join in with this one too.

I've got RAID1 (got music and video files I don't want to lose) and have suffered similar to everyone else. I phone support 3 times, now I don't bother, I just resolve it myself.

I sent a mail to Dell asking why they are still selling XPS420's with RAID when there is clearly an issue, asked what they are doing about it etc. You can guess what reply I've received.

I've mailed again today. I get the feeling thats an act of futility. Starting to think that Watchdog maybe a way forward.

0 Kudos
Whatsupport
1 Copper

Dell sent an engineer who replaced the hard drives and reconfigured the PC to Raid 1. Things have been better although I have experienced quite a few freezes and blue screen crashes since this. I also have an intermittent problem of the PC taking an extremely long time to shut down or boot up. Sometimes the status of the Raid configuration is verify rather than normal does anybody know the significance of this ?I have also lost the registration details of some of my installed applications which was a symptom of the original Raid crashes.

I've still got no faith in the stability of the machine but am logging all the faults and trying to build myself up for the nightmare of going through Dell's support again ! As reported by another user I am overjoyed if I actually use the PC and don't experience a problem (it doesn't happen very often) . 

0 Kudos
Boyd B
3 Zinc

Has everyone with the Raid array issue upgraded the BIOS to A04? I had all kinds of raid issues until I upgraded and I have had zero issues with Raid0 since the BIOS upgrade. Hope this helps.
Message Edited by Boyd B on 05-12-2008 12:21 PM
0 Kudos