Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 17th, 2008 18:00

XPS420 w\Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Trying to find out from other users of same build XPS420; Vista Home prem 32bit; Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB graphic card) if they are encountering same problems I have with my XPS420 which is 5 weeks old.

1) I set several personalized settings in the NVidia Control Center.  About 30% of the time on Startup the setting don't load.  I have worked with Dell tech, they attmepted to upgrade driver from 167.39 to 174.74.  After the Install...my second problem started

2) After 174.74 Nvidia driver was installed, when you shut down PC the display would go from Desktop to a Vista Screen that showed PLEASE WAIT, then flip back to the desktop, then shutdown.  Even the Dell tech was puzzled by this (Normal shutdown is from desktop to Vista Screen SHUTTING DOWN).  Dell tech tried to correct this abnormal shutdown by, Rolling Back driver, Using an earlier restore Point, installing a different Driver version....nothing would correct the Abnormal shutshut except when we uninstalled the NVidia Driver and let Windows install its driver, then the PC Shutdown Properly.  I had to use the Dell factory restore to correct the problem.

3) The problem with the Personalized setting continues, I contacted NVidia tech.  They opinioned Dell's Install was bad and guided me thru updating to 174.74.  After the Install....yep, abnormal shutdown started again.  NVidia had no explanation or way to fix, another restore was required.

4) Currently running Factory "Dell restore" Nvidia driver 167.37.  Noticed AutoPlay was not working.  When I would insert a disc, the drive would read the DVD but autoPlay would NOT open.  Worked with a Dell tech.  Basically after trying many different corrective steps they felt a Startup file was the cause.  Went into Msconfig and unchecked all Startup programs.  ReBooted PC, AutoPlay ran.  Began adding back in a few Startup Programs at a time, rebooted after enabling\checking programs.  Got down to a few left unchecked, I was directed to check all as well as Normal Stratup.  Rebooted, Auto Play ran fine.  It was thought disabling and then re-enabling startup program corrected the AutoPlay.  Next day when I started PC AutoPlay again would not run.  I unchecked all Sartup Programs, rebooted, AutoPlay Ran.  I added fewer Startup programs back.....again auto Play continued to run fine even after ALL Stratup programs were finally all checked.  I am thinking it is NOT a particular Startup program that prevents AutoPlay from running, it has something to do with the order in which the Stattup programs load.  I noticed that the order of the Startup Programs (looking from top to bottom)from yesterday to today is different. 

So in summary,

1) Nvidia Personalized settings in Nvidia Control center will not always load 

2) I have been unable to update my NVidia driver because when I do I get the Abnormal Shutdown as described above.

3) AutoPlay will not always run and to get it to run I must disable all Startup Programs, then I can add them back in it Runs.  Sure I could just run Selective Stratup and basically uncheck all the Stratup programs, but my feeling is, I am working with a Clean DELL Image on my hard drive, I have not added any software nor made changes....Dell's Image should be conflict free.

Anyone else with an XPS420 running Vista 32Bit and the Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB Graphic card experiencing any of these problems? I would sure like to hear from you

14.4K Posts

August 17th, 2008 19:00

Simple fix. Dump the nvidia and switch to Riviatuner. The nvidia control has never worked right.

552 Posts

August 17th, 2008 19:00

Quote:  Dell's Image should be conflict free.

That is a fair statement, however, I had many issues with my XPS420 and decided to do a fresh Dell Recovery Restore.

I still had the very same issues after the restore. I concluded the Dell Recovery Restore data was corrupted as well as the Vista install.

The only way I could get the system to a usable state was to do a reformat and fresh install from the Dell DVD. 

I then had to reinstall all the applications I needed as well as the Vista updates. There are 2 BIOS updates in the past 2-3 months. You may want to update the BIOS to A06 which is the latest.

I finally got the system to work somewhat and when I updated the Microsoft supplied Nvidia drivers, I encountered problems again. I currently use the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia web site.

I also would make sure you have the latest Intel chipset drivers. My system would not accept these drivers but yours may.

Hope this helps.

592 Posts

August 18th, 2008 22:00

denmarfl wrote: ,,,,,,

2) After 174.74 Nvidia driver was installed, when you shut down PC the display would go from Desktop to a Vista Screen that showed PLEASE WAIT, then flip back to the desktop, then shutdown.  Even the Dell tech was puzzled by this (Normal shutdown is from desktop to Vista Screen SHUTTING DOWN).  Dell tech tried to correct this abnormal shutdown by, Rolling Back driver, Using an earlier restore Point, installing a different Driver version........

I always used the latest Drivers from Nvidia with the 6800 that came with my XPS Gen 3 and now the 9600GT.

Why Dell is telling you to use drivers that are months out of date is beyond me.

But then Dell sells Nvidia  Frankenstein  cards that they have modified from the retail versions.

But try the latest ones at least and then roll back if they don't work for you.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

EDIT I see in a different message you already tried that.

But rolling back and forth may have already corrupted the OS or current drivers.

You may want to start from scratch and remove the drivers, let Windows find the new card, and then install the latest.

Message Edited by korrson on 08-18-2008 06:56 PM
No Events found!