Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2008 17:00

XPS730 H2C CPU Idle Temperature

Hi Dell Community,

My Dell XPS730 H2C with Q9550 CPU and H2C cooler has CORE0 with a temperature of 63-65 degrees celcius immediately after booting up Windows. Is this normal? All my other three cores are around ~40 degrees Celcius  At one stage  my CORE0 temperature at boot up was 80 degrees celcius and the MCP was also 80 degrees celcius and  I have had my H2C heatsink replaced by Dell. I have not overclocked or factory overclocked the computer.  I only noticed the temperature was up because the fans were quite high.

The technician wanted to also replaced the motherboard and temperture sensor as well as the card slot fan and the intake fan for the H2C. Unfortunately the Dell logisitics did not order these parts for him.

However, I would like to know what is "normal" temperature for the CPU core as > 60 degrees celcius seems a bit too high. Also should the CPU H2C pump be at 100% all the time?

Thanks for any feedback and let me know if you need more details. I haven't re-switched on my CPU because the technician wasn't 100% happy with the temperature and I am waiting for replacement motherboard, card slot fan, H2C intake fan and thermal sensor.

31 Posts

December 18th, 2008 08:00

Ayam,

I think I am running into the same problem you are. I am using Nvidia System Monitor and all four cores exect one are at 64 the other one is at 67 and this is at idle. Have you tried real temp, it seams that it reads 10c lower with that program. But I have read in other posts were it might be reading temps too low and NSM reading too high. Also were do you find the CPU H2C pump readings. You mentioned that they are at 100%.

5 Posts

December 29th, 2008 22:00

Hi genoxps,

Sorry for the slow reply. Been waiting for 3 weeks for Dell to ship the H2C Heatsink and a motherboard. They just replaced the H2C Heatsink and motherboard and on boot up the MCP Temperature is 78Deg and the Core0=63deg and the rest of the cores is at 40-45 deg. My room had an air-condition running at the same time and it was around 20-22deg in my room.

Genoxps: What is your MCP temperature?

You can read the H2C pump speed in the Nvidia control panel. I think it's under the 'motherboard' icon. It makes sense I guess to keep the pump at full speed and keep the coolant circulating. I have never actually heard and loud 'pump' noise and certainly not in real world working condition when you have th other fans and ambient noise in your work area

Hope this helps.

Have a nice New Years

Ayam

3 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

My H2C pump speed is also at 100%.

You can monitor your pump speed with the Nvidia System Monitor.

Click on the pc case in nvidia system monitor and the cpu pump speed is on the bottom right.

5 Posts

January 9th, 2009 17:00

Well Stupid Me. I've just got everything on my computer fixed up (after 4 weeks). Turns out one of the 5 technicians who came ot my house forgot to connect the CPU fan cable that runs off the chassis at the bottom of the case.

Anyway Realised that NVIDIA Control Panel allows me to set the CPU pump speed. I ramped it up to 20%and I can't notice any "real world" increase in noise but the temperatures have dropped. The idle Core temps are 40-57 deg. I don't have any great CPU stress tester so I just put on Handbrake (which I normally use to convert my DVDs) and then ran Prime95 at the same time.  All Cores are running at 100%. Max temp of Core0 is 73 deg after 1 hour. 

Temps are around 65-68 degrees when playing Far Cry 2. It's not a great game but it's the only one that I have at the moment unless I run the Crysis Sandbox 2 editor and run Crysis.

No Events found!