Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2011 06:00

XPS8300 psu

I just ordered an XPS8300 and I noticed after the fact that it comes stock with a 460W psu. I have an nvidia GeForce GTX460 gpu that I wish to install in place of the gt530 it comes stock with.

My question is two fold.  first, I also intend to add a second hard drive in the future. Will the stock psu be sufficient to handle the added draw of the upgraded gpu and the additional hard drive?

Also, and this isn't critical but I had read on nvidia's site that a second nvidia gpu could be used as a dedicated physX processor. Does the 8300's mobo have enough slots for me to use the 530 in this manner and again will the stock psu provide enough power?

3 Posts

December 4th, 2011 10:00

says minimum 450 watt psu 24amp 12v rail

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 4th, 2011 10:00

What is the power requirement of the GTX460 that you have?  There are different power requirements from different card vendors.  Thus we can't answer whether the stock power supply will handle the GTX460.  From other comments on this forum, the GT530 is a special OEM version, with a lower power requirement thus you can't compare what the power requirement of a Retail GT530 is to the Dell OEM model.  This came up as a customer was questioning the stock 430 watt power supply with the available optional video cards that can be ordered with an 8300.

I can't answer the second question.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 4th, 2011 12:00

May work OK as many overstate power requirements.  As we are just users helping users, we do not have specific system specifications such as what amps on what rail, etc.

When you get the PC, I would not change any hardware for at least the first 21 days.  You have 21 days from the date on the Dell invoice to decide if you want it or want to call Dell and request a return authorization.  In addiion you don't want to do anything during this period, to make sure the hardware is stable and there are no problems.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2011 13:00

Good advice Thank you Fireberd!

No Events found!