Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2015 09:00

XPS8500 mSATA port to drive SATA iii HDD?

I have an XPS8500 desktop with  a 2tb SATA iii HDD currently as the only drive. I have purchased a 1tb Samsun Evo 850 to replace the HDD (the HDD has only about 600gb used, so it should migrate completely without problem). Since SATA ports 1 thorough 4 are SATA ii and SATA 0 and the mSATA ports are the only SATA iii ports, I would like to move the existing 2tb HDD into an empty slot in the drive cage with the SSD in the SATA port 0 slot. Ideally I would like to drive the HDD using the mSATA port to retain SATA iii capability. Is there an adapter that will allow this? In other words: an adapter to change the connector architecture of the mSATA port to allow a normal SATA cable to connect the port to a SATA drive.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 11th, 2015 11:00

There are adapters to convert an mSATA port on the motherboard into a  standard SATA 3 port for a HDD. If you google around you can find them, eg this one.

Keep in mind that I don't specifically recommend (or not) that adapter or that vendor. So shop around to find what fits your needs and budget.

I also have no idea how well these adapters work (or not). :emotion-5:

3 Posts

August 13th, 2015 16:00

From my reading of the product description, it seems to be what I am looking for - we will soon know for certain.

No Events found!