Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2016 10:00

XPS8700 SSD issue

I have an XPS8700, Win7. It has an Intel SRT 32GB SSD cache. The SSD started acting weird a while back, but I ignored it since the system still worked. Lately it's getting very sluggish and long reboot times (reboot, get coffee, come back, wait more...). When running the Dell diagnostics, I get an "incorrect media" for the Random Seek Test. I also don't recall the drive (SSD) being recognized during startup, or visible once booted.

So, any advice on whether this is a SW or HW issue? I'm not sure what Dell loads on the SSD drive, so I assume I can't just replace the drive.

Dell wanted a pretty penny (~20% of the original price of the entire system) to help since it's no longer on support, so I thought I'd try here first.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thx.

Bill

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 1st, 2016 12:00

Check if there is a disk or thumb drive or external drive that you forgot about. Disconnect all usb devices except mouse and KB. Check the bios for errors. Incorrect Media probably has nothing to do with the ssd. Do a custom extended test of the hard drive to see if it's failing. Consider a Reset or a reinstall of windows 10 in Settings, Update, Recovery.

December 2nd, 2016 00:00

Greetings,

Thank you for writing to us.

Check if mSATA is detected in BIOS and Intel Smart Response technology is enabled under SATA operation. Check if it is detected in device manager under drives. Open Intel Rapid Storage Application and Click on accelerate. Reset available.

Run diagnostics using this link: http://dell.to/2fR0zsn and share the results. The operating system is installed on SSD drive.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 06:00

Going along with the prior post, if the system was set up correctly, you could not see the SSD.  It would be in a RAID configuration with the HDD and not visible independently, except for the Intel utility.  Disk Management would not show it.

December 2nd, 2016 07:00

Updating my OP.  It may have been a couple of different issues.

1) I was using the USB ports on my monitor. I re-wired, taking that out of the loop, and it fixed certain errors and weirdness(was failing 9 out of 10 reboot attempts). Now I wonder if the USB hub in the monitor might be failing, but can live without it. Thanks Mary.

2) long ago I got the Dev_cache error (SSD) but ignored it. I spent some time researching and was able to get the HD accelerated again using the SSD. Thanks Pradeep and Saltgrass.

So, all seems right with the world again.

Happy Holidays.

No Events found!